Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No warranty/apple care for newly purchased open box iPad Air?

Today I picked up an iPad Air 4th Gen 64gb from Best Buy. It was an open box item that didn't include the box, charger, paperwork, or any cables. 

I tried to purchase apple care for it but the serial number search on the apple website shows that not only was it ineligible for apple care but it was no longer under the standard 1yr warranty. Is there anything I can do to get apple care for it?

iPad Air, 15

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 7:27 PM

No. You didn't purchase a brand new iPad. You purchased an iPad, which is no longer sold, which was likely purchased previously and returned, hence the open box. The warranty on the device started the date it was originally purchased and was only a one year warranty to begin with. AppleCare+ wouldn't be an option because it would have to have been purchased on the device within 60 days of its original purchase date.

Enjoy the iPad and the likely great discount you received. If you wanted a device with manufacturer warranty and the option to add AppleCare+, you should have purchased a new iPad Air 5 (the current iPad Air model), which would have clearly cost more.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 7:27 PM in response to ChesterWeatherby

No. You didn't purchase a brand new iPad. You purchased an iPad, which is no longer sold, which was likely purchased previously and returned, hence the open box. The warranty on the device started the date it was originally purchased and was only a one year warranty to begin with. AppleCare+ wouldn't be an option because it would have to have been purchased on the device within 60 days of its original purchase date.

Enjoy the iPad and the likely great discount you received. If you wanted a device with manufacturer warranty and the option to add AppleCare+, you should have purchased a new iPad Air 5 (the current iPad Air model), which would have clearly cost more.

Jul 8, 2022 7:17 PM in response to ChesterWeatherby

ChesterWeatherby Said:

"No warranty/apple care for newly purchased open box iPad Air?: Today I picked up an iPad Air 4th Gen 64gb from Best Buy. It was an open box item that didn't include the box, charger, paperwork, or any cables. I tried to purchase apple care for it but the serial number search on the apple website shows that not only was it ineligible for apple care but it was no longer under the standard 1yr warranty. Is there anything I can do to get apple care for it?"

-------

Return this:

It was likely their demo unit that was associated to an Apple ID more than one year ago. So, return this to Best Buy, getting a new one directly form Apple.

No warranty/apple care for newly purchased open box iPad Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.