Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac backup queries

Hi there,

I got two queries:

• I just got my new iMac, and want to transfer my data from MacBook Pro into this new device. I do not have hard drive so I could not use time machine to back up. Is there anything I can achieve? For example, iCloud backup? Like when I purchased iPhone 13 pro, Apple allows users few days to use iCloud to backup data, is it doable on iMac as well? If not, please guide how to do it, Thanks.

• Can I achieve "middle click" on my Magic Trackpad?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 4:52 AM

For starters carefully read > Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Migrating from your Time Machine backup is the fastest and most reliable way.

Migrating directly from the old iMac using Ethernet is more reliable but really slow.

Migrating directly from the old iMac over your local network is slow and prone to failure.

iCloud is for syncing, it is not a backup that you can use to migrate from one Mac to another.

FWIW I suggest that you purchase an external drive. Make a Time Machine backup of the old MacBook Pro and use that to move into your new iMac.

To make a Time Machine backup, see > Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2022 4:52 AM in response to roylegit

For starters carefully read > Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Migrating from your Time Machine backup is the fastest and most reliable way.

Migrating directly from the old iMac using Ethernet is more reliable but really slow.

Migrating directly from the old iMac over your local network is slow and prone to failure.

iCloud is for syncing, it is not a backup that you can use to migrate from one Mac to another.

FWIW I suggest that you purchase an external drive. Make a Time Machine backup of the old MacBook Pro and use that to move into your new iMac.

To make a Time Machine backup, see > Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

iMac backup queries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.