You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD/CD player for iPad Pro

I have several purchased DVDs and CDs that I would like to play with my iPad Pro. My last laptop with an internal DVD/CD player died and I would like to make the iPad work as a laptop replacement. The answer thread to this question that I found seemed to be about not copying copyrighted material without purchasing. I would rather not buy a laptop and DVD player just to play my old technology.

Are there any players for iPad?

Thanks!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 5:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2022 9:40 PM

OK.....But that's not what they asked. They suggest they want to use their iPad as a computer replacement and use a DVD player with iPad, which we know isn't an option. I would imagine they are aware TV's can play DVD's from a DVD player. But again, not what their question was at all.

11 replies

Jul 9, 2022 6:02 PM in response to Tcw6x6

Sorry, but while you'd like iPad to be a full computer replacement, it's not and there are no external DVD players which can play movies or cd music on iPad. iPadOS is not the same as a full computer operating system.

You'd have to copy the DVD's to a computer with iTunes, then synced via iTunes to your Mac. But that would ONLY be possible if there isn't DRM (Digital Rights Management) coding on the DVD, which is unlikely with almost ALL commercially sold DVD's.

To be honest, I have a high quality DVD player in my home entertainment system, which hasn't been used in years. Streaming is what we do these days. If you have a Netflix or Amazon Prime or other video streaming application, you'd be better off seeing if the content you want to watch can be streamed. You can also rent movies in the iTunes Store, which you play on your iPad.

Jul 9, 2022 7:38 PM in response to Tcw6x6

Stand alone CD/DVD players are quite inexpensive; I have a couple: one is a burner too so I can burn media and the other one is hooked to my large screen TV so I can play them there. Got one of them at Walmart for less than $35.

@ lobsterghost1 - LOL. And yes, I still use media. I don't stream or pay to watch anything. Free OTA TV in HD (35 channels) and foreign movies or other shows, news, whatever (free via the foreign TV station apps on my iPad to the TV). I also watch movies I've made on DVDs.

DVD/CD player for iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.