Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally erased my MacBook air on “find my” through my iphone

After this, i tried to reinstall MacOs Big Sur and faced an error, “Failed to download required installer asset (SFR). The software update installer could not be downloaded. Please check your network connection and try again.” I tried to restart my mac and reinstall the MacOS big sur again, and faced the same error. I’m connected to a wifi network and i dont really think my network is slow. After this, I restarted my mac and clicked the continue in safe mode button but nothing happened as if the button was not working(I’m not so sure about it tho). Then, i opened the utilities option again and clicked on disk utilities. I tried to first aid a disk named “untitled “. (I cant see any disk named macintosh, but i think it’s untitled ). But an error occurred saying the first aid is failed. I restarted my mac and tried to first aid the disk again but faced the same issue. Not knowing what to do, once again, i tried reinstall the MacOS Big sur. (As far as I remember, I didn’t had any backups in my time machine) and faced the same error, which was “Failed to download required installer asset (SFR). The software update installer could not be downloaded. Please check your network connection and try again”. How can i install this without any errors? And if i successfully install it, will i be able to get my data back if i login?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 7:50 AM

Did you think Apple was kidding about the ability to erase your MacBook Air via Find My? I would schedule time with the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and see if they can resurrect the Air. Have your proof of purchase and ID with you. Hopefully, you had a recent Time Machine backup of the Air before you walked the plank…

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2022 7:50 AM in response to Anonymous220

Did you think Apple was kidding about the ability to erase your MacBook Air via Find My? I would schedule time with the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and see if they can resurrect the Air. Have your proof of purchase and ID with you. Hopefully, you had a recent Time Machine backup of the Air before you walked the plank…

Jul 10, 2022 8:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

At this point, I’m ok with losing my data as I didn’t had any time machine backups. So how can i just start it all over again? I thought to erase the disk and then try to reinstall MacOS Big sur. But got an error in the erase process which said,“erase process has failed”. Please help me if you have any solution to this issue. I’ll try also to schedule time with my nearest apple store.

Accidentally erased my MacBook air on “find my” through my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.