Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time machine for back up not working?

when I try to back up my computer with Western Digital "Elements" it says, "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from." How can I fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 7:49 AM

_backup wrote:

"Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from." How can I fix this?

that message usually means that there's not enough space on the mac's internal drive. TM needs to create a "snapshot" of the system on the local drive BEFORE it gets sent to the external TM drive. you need to clear some space on your internal drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2022 7:49 AM in response to _backup

_backup wrote:

"Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from." How can I fix this?

that message usually means that there's not enough space on the mac's internal drive. TM needs to create a "snapshot" of the system on the local drive BEFORE it gets sent to the external TM drive. you need to clear some space on your internal drive.

My time machine for back up not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.