Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from.

I got a 4TB external hard drive for my laptop (2017 MacBookAir) and I keep getting "Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from." I have tried googling the issue a(delete external hard drive, add it back, and none of the fixes online are working. Anyone have tips?

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 11:39 AM

Is your internal HD or ssd nearly full?

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support You can read here:

Your Mac counts the space used by snapshots as available storage. Even so, Time Machine stores snapshots only on disks that have plenty of free space, and it automatically deletes snapshots as they age or as space is needed for other things.”

If the internal drive is nearly full, create some more space by deleting items or moving large items to another external drive. TimeMachine backups can include external drives. You can e.g. move your photolibrary to an external drive Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Maybe you find this link interesting Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 11:39 AM in response to LaxmiL

Is your internal HD or ssd nearly full?

About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support You can read here:

Your Mac counts the space used by snapshots as available storage. Even so, Time Machine stores snapshots only on disks that have plenty of free space, and it automatically deletes snapshots as they age or as space is needed for other things.”

If the internal drive is nearly full, create some more space by deleting items or moving large items to another external drive. TimeMachine backups can include external drives. You can e.g. move your photolibrary to an external drive Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Maybe you find this link interesting Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.