Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot my macbook password

I forgot my macbook password and am trying to follow the steps to reset my password however i am not stuck at the “Time Machine System Restore” page because it is asking me for a password to unlock a disk named “data” but i never created that password and am confused on what to do.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 7:17 PM

madii_ Said:

"I forgot my macbook password and am trying to follow the steps to reset my password however i am not stuck at the 'Time Machine System Restore' page because it is asking me for a password to unlock a disk named 'data' but i never created that password and am confused on what to do."

Resetting your Mac Login Password:

Reset it using the login screen. You'd go through your Apple ID to perform this. Find out more here: If you Forgot your Mac Login Password - Apple Support. Make sure that caps lock is not enabled when typing it.  Does that fix this?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2022 7:17 PM in response to madii_

madii_ Said:

"I forgot my macbook password and am trying to follow the steps to reset my password however i am not stuck at the 'Time Machine System Restore' page because it is asking me for a password to unlock a disk named 'data' but i never created that password and am confused on what to do."

Resetting your Mac Login Password:

Reset it using the login screen. You'd go through your Apple ID to perform this. Find out more here: If you Forgot your Mac Login Password - Apple Support. Make sure that caps lock is not enabled when typing it.  Does that fix this?

Jul 10, 2022 7:11 PM in response to madii_

Hi madii_,

"Data" is the name of the data volume on your Mac. This volume stores all of your files, settings, and third-party apps.

If you're trying to reset your password, Time Machine System Restore isn't the app you want to use. That app is designed to roll your system back to a recent local snapshot. The password it is asking for is your Mac login password, and it seems that FileVault (full volume encryption) was enabled earlier.

If you want to reset your password in macOS Recovery, follow these steps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212190

Best of luck in resetting your password and recovering your data.

I forgot my macbook password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.