Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the gain that you add to Final Cut clean gain?

For example, say I have an audio file that I export from Logic, but the audio meter in Final Cut is saying that it’s lower than -6. If I boost the gain so that it’s around -3, will that be clean gain, or is it recommended that I just add gain in Logic?

(Also, what is the recommended level in the dBFS meter in Final Cut before exporting? -3dB?)

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 10, 2022 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 1:14 PM

I don't really think the integer size matters that much. 32-bit gives a bit more "headroom" to internal calculations but doesn't really result in any detectable "improvement" to the audio. There's only so much we can actually hear. 24-bit easily provides that range.

I'd like to make a correction here: it seems that FCPX exports LinearPCM (so 24-bit integer [checked with MediaInfo]). You may have to use Compressor for higher resolution options.

Final Cut uses the extra bits in internal calculations and these calculations just have more headroom (and internal precision) so that values are not clipped. The important part of audio to consider is not the range of individual sample values, but how many samples are played over time (i.e., the Hz of the audio.) The higher the Hz, the smoother the transitions between values, the closer to analog the waveforms will sound. 24-bit will fit very comfortably within a 32-bit space with plenty of room for extra processing. The actual values of each sample will remain the same.

Audio is (and has always been) a difficult subject to discuss!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2022 1:14 PM in response to kathgo

I don't really think the integer size matters that much. 32-bit gives a bit more "headroom" to internal calculations but doesn't really result in any detectable "improvement" to the audio. There's only so much we can actually hear. 24-bit easily provides that range.

I'd like to make a correction here: it seems that FCPX exports LinearPCM (so 24-bit integer [checked with MediaInfo]). You may have to use Compressor for higher resolution options.

Final Cut uses the extra bits in internal calculations and these calculations just have more headroom (and internal precision) so that values are not clipped. The important part of audio to consider is not the range of individual sample values, but how many samples are played over time (i.e., the Hz of the audio.) The higher the Hz, the smoother the transitions between values, the closer to analog the waveforms will sound. 24-bit will fit very comfortably within a 32-bit space with plenty of room for extra processing. The actual values of each sample will remain the same.

Audio is (and has always been) a difficult subject to discuss!

Jul 10, 2022 10:31 PM in response to kathgo

Audio in FCPX is 32-bit floating point. Audio exported from FCPX is 32-bit integer. The floating point version allows you to do a great deal of editing without clipping... but that doesn't mean what gets exported won't clip.

There are two audio scales. The audio in the storyline (either by itself or attached to video clips) has a -12dB reference point. The Audio Meter has a -6dB reference point. [This means that the 0 point in the clip audio is -12dB from clipping and the 0 point of the Audio Meters is -6dB from "clipping" except you are warned if audio levels exceed the 0dB reference point.]

The audio meters is more or less equivalent to "standard" reference audio meters. The one in the storyline helps you make better videos without producing audio that most people would find too loud.

If you go by the storyline audio reference, that -12dB is equivalent to the -6dB reference of the standard meters... so, -6dB is the target level of most of the loudest parts of the audio in your project. Anything above -6 starts to get too loud. Anything over 0dB will clip (you'll see the red lines over the channels if clipping is indicated.) You won't hear it in the project (floating point audio).

[Storyline audio waveforms give indications of loudness in the signal. (Light) green is safe. Yellow is a warning. You should not see any reds... ever. Red stands for "your ears will bleed" — or — possible hearing loss... however you want to look at it.]

Most audio professionals ( recording engineers —I am not one—) will tell you "use your ears". Set your Mac's audio to 50% and put on a decent set of headphones... listen. The audio should be "comfortable" (or "natural") to listen to. Allow your audience to make volume adjustments accordingly, to their own taste. If you're going by the Audio Meters in Final Cut, then -6dB generally the best target for the loudest parts of your audio. You should err on the side of quiet. I've had tinnitus since 1982 and it will be the last sound I hear. Be careful and take care of your hearing.

Jul 11, 2022 11:44 AM in response to fox_m

Thank you so much for your detailed, excellent answer!! I’ll make -6dB the target, then!

What you said about Final Cut being 32-bit makes me think maybe I need to dither my audio coming out of Logic because l’ve been bouncing wav files that are 24 bit. I suspect that a 24-bit audio file won’t sound well if Final Cut is 32-bit unless I dither.

Seems like there’s always something to consider! :)

Thanks again!

Jul 13, 2022 1:23 AM in response to terryb

> 48kHz is the standard for video

Yes. I wonder why some iOS devices (iPhone 12 mini or iPad Pro 9,7" A1674 running iOS 15.5, for example) have 44.1 kHz audio while iPhone 13 Pro with same iOS use 48 kHz. And there seems to be no setting to change that unless it is related to some other setting.

On the other hand, FiLMic Pro has an option for also audio sampling rate.

Is the gain that you add to Final Cut clean gain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.