Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constantly reoccurring faded out effect error on 16” M1 Pro, MacBook Pro (Mac OS Monterey 12.4)

Since I initially bought my 16” M1 Pro, MacBook Pro (currently running the latest Mac OS Monterey 12.4 ) in late 2021, I have been having this strange constantly recurring issue with it.

When I am using a program let’s say like Adobe illustrator, and I am actively clicking around on different design elements and clearly engaging with the program, a strange thing happens..

If you can imagine clicking on the finder while you are in an already open program, you would see behind the finder window that the program you were just engaged with has become slightly faded, this is to indicate that the program is not engaged because you have opened the finder. But when you click back to the program you were just using before you opened the finder the faded visual element goes away and this indicates that the program has been re-engaged and is now possible to use again.

When I am using illustrator or any application on my Mac this aforementioned occurrence happens at random without me opening anything else. I will be using illustrator and all of a sudden it has that faded out effect, nothing can be clicked on or used until I click on the menu bar or something of the program to get it re-engage so I can continue to use it.

This is a very frustrating poor quality issue which is not what I would expect from Apple.

I contacted Apple customer support but they weren’t incredibly helpful so I’m hoping to have better luck here.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 10:13 AM

User800 wrote:

I enabled that but doing so just reduces the transparency which is not relevant to my issue.
I don't think you understand my issue..

If I am using a program, the system automatically disengages the program as if I have clicked on something else even though I haven't.

My issues are not exclusive to third party apps, I could be using an apple made application such as 'pages' and this same issue would still arise.

Maybe a screen shot would help clarify what you are seeing ...(?)

Do you have Hot corners turned on?

Use hot corners on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the  smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2022 10:13 AM in response to User800

User800 wrote:

I enabled that but doing so just reduces the transparency which is not relevant to my issue.

If I am using a program, the system automatically disengages the program as if I have clicked on something else even though I haven't.

My issues are not exclusive to third party apps, I could be using an apple made application such as 'pages' and this same issue would still arise.

Maybe a screen shot would help clarify what you are seeing ...(?)

Do you have Hot corners turned on?

Use hot corners on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the  smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Jul 11, 2022 8:28 AM in response to User800

User800 wrote:

Since I initially bought my 16” M1 Pro, MacBook Pro (currently running the latest Mac OS Monterey 12.4 )

When I am using a program let’s say like Adobe illustrator, and I am actively clicking around on different design elements and clearly engaging with the program, a strange thing happens..

If you can imagine clicking on the finder while you are in an already open program, you would see behind the finder window that the program you were just engaged with has become slightly faded, this is to indicate that the program is not engaged because you have opened the finder. But when you click back to the program you were just using before you opened the finder the faded visual element goes away and this indicates that the program has been re-engaged and is now possible to use again.

When I am using illustrator or any application on my Mac this aforementioned occurrence happens at random without me opening anything else. I will be using illustrator and all of a sudden it has that faded out effect, nothing can be clicked on or used until I click on the menu bar or something of the program to get it re-engage so I can continue to use it.

Did you try making changes to Preferences...(?)

>System Preferences>Accessibility>Display>Reduce Transparency and compare your results...

Set Accessibility preferences on Mac - Apple Support

If you issues are all related to your third party app— I would start there

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Adobe Illustrator Learn & Support

Adobe Help Center

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Jul 11, 2022 10:04 AM in response to leroydouglas

Constantly reoccurring faded out effect error on 16” M1 Pro, MacBook Pro (Mac OS Monterey 12.4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.