Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Issues with my 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro

Hello, I have a 4 month old 2021 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro that is running Mac OS Monterey 12.5.1, and I have been getting a number of app crashes. I don't know if these are just weird quirks with the current software version, however, its seems as if its on par with the amount of crashes experienced with my 2015 MacBook Air i7. (For reference I have 100+gb free on my ssd, and I only keep apps that I am using open to preserve my ram usage.)

Here's a list of the crashes that have occurred in the past few days:

• While using Logic Pro X, and switching to an Alternate version of the project, the app crashed.
  • While applying the HDR tools effect to a 10 second clip in Final Cut Pro, the app crashed.
  • When adding a location to a guide in maps, the app crashed.
  • After quitting messages with the "CMD Q" shortcut, then opening it back up shortly after, the app crashes.

Other issues:

• After plugging in my iPhone 13 to download my photos to my Mac, the message "Preparing import" stays on the screen and never changes, even after having left it for over an hour. (Both devices are running the latest software versions, and they have ample storage left, I have tried multiple cables and I still have no luck).
  • When playing a track through Logic Pro X, and launching another app at the same time, this loud crackling noise plays through the speakers.

For all of these issues I have tried restarting the computer and booting it in safe mode. Do you think this is purely a software issue or possibly a hardware issue?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 12:32 PM

Jack__EP wrote:

• Hello, I have a 4 month old 2021 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro that is running Mac OS Monterey 12.5.1, and I have been getting a number of app crashes. I don't know if these are just weird quirks with the current software version, however, its seems as if its on par with the amount of crashes experienced with my 2015 MacBook Air i7. (For reference I have 100+gb free on my ssd, and I only keep apps that I am using open to preserve my ram usage.)

While using Logic Pro X, and switching to an Alternate version of the project, the app crashed.
• While applying the HDR tools effect to a 10 second clip in Final Cut Pro, the app crashed.
• After quitting messages with the "CMD Q" shortcut, then opening it back up shortly after, the app crashes.
Other issues:
After plugging in my iPhone 13 to download my photos to my Mac, the message "Preparing import" stays on the screen and never changes, even after having left it for over an hour. (Both devices are running the latest software versions, and they have ample storage left, I have tried multiple cables and I still have no luck).
• When playing a track through Logic Pro X, and launching another app at the same time, this loud crackling noise plays through the speakers.

For all of these issues I have tried restarting the computer and booting it in safe mode. Do you think this is purely a software issue or possibly a hardware issue?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/91c69a0a-fdcd-418a-b02e-f9264f480c23

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

if no resolve—

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

if after all that and you still have issue—

you can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 12:32 PM in response to Jack__EP

Jack__EP wrote:

• Hello, I have a 4 month old 2021 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro that is running Mac OS Monterey 12.5.1, and I have been getting a number of app crashes. I don't know if these are just weird quirks with the current software version, however, its seems as if its on par with the amount of crashes experienced with my 2015 MacBook Air i7. (For reference I have 100+gb free on my ssd, and I only keep apps that I am using open to preserve my ram usage.)

While using Logic Pro X, and switching to an Alternate version of the project, the app crashed.
Other issues:
After plugging in my iPhone 13 to download my photos to my Mac, the message "Preparing import" stays on the screen and never changes, even after having left it for over an hour. (Both devices are running the latest software versions, and they have ample storage left, I have tried multiple cables and I still have no luck).

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/91c69a0a-fdcd-418a-b02e-f9264f480c23

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

if no resolve—

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

if after all that and you still have issue—

you can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Software Issues with my 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.