Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 iMac as monitor for M1 Macbook Pro?

Is it possible to use the new M1 iMac as a monitor for the M1 Macbook Pro 16 in?

I have an M1 Macbook Pro for work and instead of buying an external monitor for it I would love to get one of the new colorful iMac for home use but need to be able to use it as an external monitor for my M1 Macbook Pro when needed (and I'd like for it to be good for that use too - no lag time, etc). I have not been able to find a definitive answer and would like one before pulling the trigger on the iMac..

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 10:24 AM

No, it used to be possible under *very* specific conditions, but no new iMacs can be used as a hardware external display for another Mac.

You can use Airplay, or a third party hardware solution called Luna Display.

4 replies

Jul 11, 2022 12:32 PM in response to ilahens

Thanks for the responses. What a shame - the Studio Display is more expensive than a base level iMac and the colors are quite enticing. I’m not as excited about the LG 4K because of the reflective coating and aesthetics, but I’m having a hard time justifying the price of the Studio Display (especially when it’s so close to the iMac which seemed to be the perfect solution for my family). How annoying. I only seem to have expensive not ideal solutions in front of me to choose from.

I wanted to have a home iMac for the family to use that could also serve as a monitor for my MacBook Pro when I’m working from home. Don’t want the little ones anywhere near my work laptop, but wanted to be able to dock it when needed and use a large external screen.

If any of you have work around ideas, would appreciate it - otherwise it’s chromebook for the kids :-/ and I’ll have to agonize over the LG vs Studio Display question.

Jul 11, 2022 1:32 PM in response to ilahens

I can afford that Apple Studio Display but chose not to purchase it. Too small and overkill.

The largest display (LG, 32-in, 4K UHD HDR 32UN880-B) that I have right now cost me $699USD (there are less $$ available) and is just fine connected to my Mac mini. I do have a 2021 16-in MBP M1 Pro, and there are modest priced HDMI switches with remotes on Amazon so that I could, if I chose, connect my M1 mini and the MBP to the HDMI switch and then press a button on the remote to change the display source. I haven't gone there either.

M1 iMac as monitor for M1 Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.