Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Safesearch won't switch off on my MacBook Pro

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and I have noticed that ever since I've had it, Google Safesearch pops up and I cannot switch it off, as it says it's locked by the device or network. I can use Google without any problems on my phone on the same network and I have checked our WiFi settings as well, so it looks like it's the device. However, I have looked at all parental control settings on my MacBook and nothing seems to be restricted. I cannot figure out why this is happening, but it is very irritating. Any advice?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 8:00 AM

I don't understand either, but I surmise this is a Google problem: Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

If you are required to use Google products for your job, then you need to contact your employer for assistance. "Locked by the device or network" implies those settings are beyond your control.

3 replies

Jul 11, 2022 3:24 PM in response to elke224

Google Safesearch pops up and I cannot switch it off, ...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, although I understand an unwanted web page is appearing when you use Safari. What specific action are you taking that you described as "switch it off"? Describe that setting, Safari preference, etc you are using to do that.

By any chance, do you see a Profiles pane in System Preferences? If any Profiles are installed on your Mac an icon like this will appear:

Profiles are installed by organizations with a need to manage Macs deployed in institutional corporate or educational environments (for example), but have also been exploited by adware creators and similar malcontents.

If you see that icon in System Preferences, select it. To remove a Profile, select it, then click the [—] (minus) button and authenticate.

Jul 12, 2022 3:15 AM in response to John Galt

Google Safesearch is essentially parental controls that protect you from adult content, however as usual not everything it deems to be adults content is adult content and occasionally I do need to do searches that contain adult phrases for my job.

It's not set on my Google account as I don't have this issue on my iPhone on the same network and I cannot switch it off as Google says it's locked by the device or network. The system preferences section on my MacBook is empty and the parental controls are off. I just don't understand why I can't switch it off.

Google Safesearch won't switch off on my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.