You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I be able to update my apps on new iPad?

I have an 11 year old iPad 2. It has not had anything updated in many years yet still works and my Apple and Itunes accounts are still with me.

I will be getting the newest basic iPad as soon as they are available, hopefully by Sept. 22.

When I transfer my purchased apps and files from the old iPad to the new one, will I be able to update the apps finally after years of no updates? I know the iPad will come with some of the included apps, but apps I bought long ago like SongBook, I wonder if once transferred to the new iPad, will I be able to update it or will I have to buy a new version?

iPad 2

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 4:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 4:37 PM

Your old iPad2 is a 32-bit device - running 32-bit Apps. Modern versions of iOS/iPadOS are 64-bit Operating Systems.

All Apps purchased using your AppleID account are forever tied to your AppleID. As long as (a) you are signed-in to the Apple App Store with the same AppleID, and (b) the corresponding Apps are still supported and available for download as a 64-bit App, you will be able to download and install your Apps on a newer or current model iPad.

Most (if not all) App developers have dropped support for 32-bit devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13. As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store, you’ll not be able to (re)download or (re)install 32-bit versions of Apps - which may restrict availability of some very old Apps. If the Apps are still supported by the respective Developer - and been updated to a 64-bit Apps - you should have no issues.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2022 4:37 PM in response to ejbpesca

Your old iPad2 is a 32-bit device - running 32-bit Apps. Modern versions of iOS/iPadOS are 64-bit Operating Systems.

All Apps purchased using your AppleID account are forever tied to your AppleID. As long as (a) you are signed-in to the Apple App Store with the same AppleID, and (b) the corresponding Apps are still supported and available for download as a 64-bit App, you will be able to download and install your Apps on a newer or current model iPad.

Most (if not all) App developers have dropped support for 32-bit devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13. As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store, you’ll not be able to (re)download or (re)install 32-bit versions of Apps - which may restrict availability of some very old Apps. If the Apps are still supported by the respective Developer - and been updated to a 64-bit Apps - you should have no issues.

Will I be able to update my apps on new iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.