Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact and Userid Images Disappearing

So I have seen some have experienced this issue already with no solution. I am seeing contact images disappear with a random string being added at the end of phone numbers or in the country field that starts with X-IMAGEHASH or X-ABADR. It also changes any numbers marked as "Mobile" to "Phone". It messes up using Siri to make calls or just trying to call someone with an impacted record because often it adds the string to the end of their number. I should add this can occur even if there is no image associated with the contact but interestingly it seems to be the same contacts every time despite there being no real commonality between them. A restore of contacts back to a time before this began happening had no impact. The next day the same thing occurred. To make things even more complicated my Userid picture on the Mac which references Photos also disappears at the same time. It seems to have something to do with anything that references Photos on the iCloud for the most part but why I could not tell you. Nothing (no third party apps) has access to my contacts or photos. It happens on all devices - iPad, iPhone, Mac M1 Max, Watch.

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 3:06 PM

Similar questions

119 replies

Jul 14, 2022 9:23 AM in response to Netnemesis

Hello Netnemesis,

Are all your devices up to date?

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

When this occurs, do you also see that same behavior via the iCloud website? iCloud Contacts

Should that still persist, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support so they can look into this further: Contact - Official Apple Support

Take care.

Jul 27, 2022 5:14 AM in response to Netnemesis

quick update:

yesterday after it reset over the previous night, I went in and did the following:

• deleted OneDrive off my iPhone (saw it mentioned, wasn't using it, figured whatever its clean up anyways)
  • updated 3 contact pictures: 2 on my phone through photos - assign photo to contact. 1 through iCloud.com

This morning, knock on wood, none of those 3 have reset. Previously was updating contact pictures through contacts app on my MBP and that was for sure reseting every night. knock on wood updating through my phone at least works for now and it can MAYBE be isolated to Mac OS.

Aug 6, 2022 6:51 AM in response to Netnemesis

so now, after a week on google contacts:

• my contacts aren't getting jacked up, generally no change and google syncs fine
  • ONE EXCEPTION: on my iPhone if I go to settings my picture at the top (my iCloud picture) has reset. My contact card still shows my picture (as its on my google contact card) , and its set to my contact. My Mac shows my icloud picture, just my phone and iCloud.com showing blanks now for me.
  • Every other contact working fine

Sep 1, 2022 4:37 PM in response to Netnemesis

as Teams doesn’t show up in Privacy>Contacts, have deep/complete deleted Teams from 2 macs and iPhone,

added some photos to a mix of contact types and report back as times evolves

PS

1. not all icons/photos disappear, many companies and/or many icons (not photos) stayed fine (yet apple contact lost icon)
  2. other ways Contacts is now misbehaving such as saving a contact from Mail yet without email, dissassociating name from existing record, emptied contacts

fingers crossed

Jul 28, 2022 7:08 AM in response to Netnemesis

so, may be a find or not. For those of you having trouble like me, if you go to library - application support - addressbook - sources

do you have 1 or 2 folders in sources? I had 2 (shown below). I have since logged out of iCloud on my Mac, deleted the address book folder, and then signed in. I now have only 1. I am curious if others with same issue have 2, and maybe its 2 sources trying to sync at once causing the issue?

Jul 17, 2022 4:07 PM in response to jexpo20

I suspect if you search for just "X-" in your contacts you will find some instances of X-ABADR as well in the country field (mostly). The other thing is if I add a photo to a contact it changes the mobile phone number from "mobile" to a "phone" field. I conducted testing with anything that uses contacts (eg Signal) and none of it impacted the contacts. I logoff, restart the next morning, and presto it happens again. More so if I added any pictures to contacts the previous day. The one thing that is outside of contacts but also has issues is userid pics. They just disappear as do any pics on your iCloud account. There is definitely an issue with photos interaction with other areas but what it is I do not know and Apple after a week still have no answers. I have seen others rebuild over this issue to no avail.

Jul 25, 2022 1:17 PM in response to zngve

So here is a question - are you using MS OneDrive or Signal? At about the same time I had an issue with being able to log back into a particular work Onedrive account and had to go nuclear including deleting keychain entries and anything that mentioned OneDrive on the Mac before I reinstalled and it worked again. That was about the only other thing I did at about the time it all began working again.

Jul 25, 2022 1:45 PM in response to zngve

Originally I thought it had something to do with Signal given that was about the only other thing that messed with contacts. So make sure that is the latest version on all devices as it is on mine. For Onedrive I had to really dig to find all connections to it including deleting the app and instead of getting a new version from MS I downloaded the app from the Apple App Store. Note my issues with Onedrive happened after the Mac update to 12.5 (which cant be a coincidence because MS released updates on the same day) I am just trying to see if we cant collectively narrow down what causes it. But as of today it hasn't happened since.

Jul 26, 2022 5:12 AM in response to scott.w.uhl

Very disappointing. I updated everything Sun night, and re-installed Outlook yesterday. As of right now, everything is good, but waiting for the “blow up” to happen. Tried Mailspring, and hated it. I could probably continue on just using the Apple email client, but cant stand the fact that emails get “read” just by clicking on them and previewing. Outlook has so much email/calendar functionality and the look is good. Cant believe this cant be fixed…..As I stated, waiting on the “bomb” to drop in contacts sometime today.

Contact and Userid Images Disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.