Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV HD Siri remote volume and mute controls stopped working

I have a new Apple TV and I am using with a relatively new Samsung TV. I installed the device successfully and everything was running beautifully. The Siri remote fully controlled both the apple tv device as well as the volume on the TV. This included the mute button. Then in the middle of a TV watching session the Siri remote stopped controlling the volume! The other buttons seem to work fine but the volume and mute buttons no longer control the tv volume. I have tried everything!

Some things to note:

• When I press the volume or mute buttons I can see the LED on the Apple tv blinks
  • I have gone to the remote settings. The volume control was set to “Auto via IR (TV)”. I tried the “learn new device option”. It seemed to learn the IR signals just fine. from the TV’s remote, but when the volume control is set to this custom setting it still does not work.
  • I can use the siri remote app on my iPhone to control the AppleTV but this also does not solve the problem. (I am not sure if this is supposed to work).
  • The Samsung TV’s remote works just fine.

Help please!

Apple TV HD, tvOS 12

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 4:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 6:57 PM

Remote is working now — Yay! I took a hint from this article (Can’t change volume with Apple remote any… - Apple Community) and did the remote reset and re-pairing process three times in succession. Now the sound bar controls work. That said, I think Apple needs to revisit this latest firmware because something about the update process doesn’t appear to be stable — at least where the IR is concerned.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2022 6:57 PM in response to iGadGets83

Remote is working now — Yay! I took a hint from this article (Can’t change volume with Apple remote any… - Apple Community) and did the remote reset and re-pairing process three times in succession. Now the sound bar controls work. That said, I think Apple needs to revisit this latest firmware because something about the update process doesn’t appear to be stable — at least where the IR is concerned.

Jul 12, 2022 4:42 PM in response to playatomo

I am following this discussion, as I just had the exact same issue. I noticed it this afternoon while actually using the volume buttons. I thought maybe I messed up the remote by clicking too fast. I have followed all the same steps you have, with no luck. So I’m currently using the Samsung remote to control volume. Fingers crossed we get a solution…as I was about to look into ordering a new remote. Maybe it’s a bug? :)

Apple TV HD Siri remote volume and mute controls stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.