Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup iphone consume huge storage and still not finish

Dear Apple,

I have iphone11Pro 64Gb and current usage of the phone is 52Gb.

Last night I plugged it to my Windows laptop and using latest iTunes to backup it.

My hard disk had 230 Gb of free storage.

Today's morning, I found that the backup folder size is 230GB and iTunes still showing backup In progress.

So the backup is not completed due to no space available (my laptop's hard disk has only 4 Mb left) and I choose Cancel backup.

Could you help explain & advise what I should do to backup my iphone successfully ?

How could it possibly consume 230 Gb for backup my iPhone ?

Thank you.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 4:31 AM

During the process of creating a backup, you will need up to 3-4x of free space, than the actual size of the data that should be backed up.

So there is no other solution than to free up more space on your computer, or copy data back to your computer, delete it afterwards from the phone, before you start the backup, having a reduced backup size after that.

Transferring photos would be one of the first options to check:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2022 4:31 AM in response to giangdang22

During the process of creating a backup, you will need up to 3-4x of free space, than the actual size of the data that should be backed up.

So there is no other solution than to free up more space on your computer, or copy data back to your computer, delete it afterwards from the phone, before you start the backup, having a reduced backup size after that.

Transferring photos would be one of the first options to check:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Backup iphone consume huge storage and still not finish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.