Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini Dropping Wireless: DNS Resolve Error.

For the past few months I have been having an intermittent wireless/network issue with my 2020 Mac Mini. I have taken it in to the Apple Store and they could find no issues with it. I have contacted Xfinity, but since it happens to only my mini and nothing else on my network, and there diagnostics show that it is connected, getting help from them isn't going anywhere.,

Setup.

Clean Install 12.4.

Only two apps installed that didn't come with the machine: Backblaze (up to date), and Sync Two Folders Pro.

The Mini is connected to a XFi Pod about 1 foot from the mini. It is connected by both ethernet and by wireless.

All other devices connected to the pod (tested with iPad, iPhone, and printer) are working correctly.

I have a ThinkVision monitor connected over Thunderbolt/USB-C.

I have a Scarlett USB Interface connected via USB A

I have an external hard drive connected over USB A

I have an external USB dock connected via USB C

Keyboard is first gen magic keyboard

mouse is current gen Magic Mouse

The issue happens whether these are connected or not (excepting monitor.

The symptoms:

4-6 times or more a day, internet connections will simply stop working. Both the wireless and the ethernet will report that they are connected. The only thing that brings them back is rebooting (I've tried adding openDNS, deleting and reconnecting, making a new location, making a new user, rebooting to safe mode, and now am on my second clean reinstall). If I am running the wireless monitor while this happens, it reports a DNS resolution error. I have not added any DNS servers since the clean install.

When the internet stops working on the Mac mini, I can surf the internet on my iPad, which is wifi only, no cellular.

While the Mac mini was at the apple store they did hardware diagnostics and then had it play videos for two days with no drops or other evidence of issues.

So it somehow looks like this is an issue with my network that only effects this one device on my network. Does anyone have any ideas about how to troubleshoot this? It's driving me nuts. Half my work can't be done without an internet connection and rebooting so many times is getting tedious.

Thanks,

Patrick

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 6:42 AM

I concur with hcsitas, sounds like it maybe it is cycling between Ethernet and WI-Fi.

Personally I would test it on a cat6 or better Ethernet cable with the Wi-Fi turned off.

Also note that high speed USB cables and other devices like drives and displays can cause Wi-Fi interferance.

see > I concur with hcsitas, sounds like it maybe it is cycling between Ethernet and WI-Fi.

Personally I would test it on a cat6 or better Ethernet cable with the Wi-Fi turned off.

Also note that high speed USB cables and other devices like drives and displays can cause Wi-Fi interferance.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 6:42 AM in response to pcmxa

I concur with hcsitas, sounds like it maybe it is cycling between Ethernet and WI-Fi.

see > I concur with hcsitas, sounds like it maybe it is cycling between Ethernet and WI-Fi.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Jul 14, 2022 11:06 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you for the suggestions. I the problem pre-dates the Ethernet connection. I would prefer to connect over wireless as my password is crazy long and I usually use my watch to unlock. I will test with just using either Ethernet or Wi-Fi to make sure, but I pretty sure I’ve already tried that.

the wireless connection is strong and wireless monitor isn’t showing significant interference.

thanks again.

Jul 21, 2022 8:11 PM in response to pcmxa

Thanks to you both! Not sure what caused the original issue, but simply unplugging the ethernet connection to the iFi Pod has done the trick for at least a week now. My best guess is my WIFI connection was iffy. I then got the Pod which resolved the wifi issue, but then I compounded it by connecting the ethernet along with the wifi. I still get drops, but the mini (on Wifi only) just reconnects right back.

Mac mini Dropping Wireless: DNS Resolve Error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.