Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop formula suggestions

Hi

This is probably very basic and easily fixable, but it is driving me mad.

I am double-clicking into cells to edit and then copy their content, but after a short while numbers is now suggesting formulas with a little window that pops up and each subsequent double-click in the cell just adds that cell reference number to the formula prompt, rather than letting me edit and copy the text in the cell. I don't know what the feature is called.

How can I turn this off?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 8:54 AM

It looks as if columns L and M are formatted as Currency and that you already have a formula in column N that sums columns G through M.

That is expected behavior. When you double-click a cell that already contains a formula then the formula editor pops up to let you edit it.

If you want to copy the range of cells, just select them (without double-clicking), then command-c, click where you want to paste them and command-v to paste. (Or, if you don't want the formula to paste, Edit > Paste Formula Results).

SG

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 8:54 AM in response to ringeflange

It looks as if columns L and M are formatted as Currency and that you already have a formula in column N that sums columns G through M.

That is expected behavior. When you double-click a cell that already contains a formula then the formula editor pops up to let you edit it.

If you want to copy the range of cells, just select them (without double-clicking), then command-c, click where you want to paste them and command-v to paste. (Or, if you don't want the formula to paste, Edit > Paste Formula Results).

SG

Jul 14, 2022 9:14 AM in response to ringeflange

ringeflange wrote:

I can't see what the content of a cell is (actual value vs. result of a formula) like you can in Excel with that bar at the top of the worksheet.

In this case don't look up at the top. Look lower left:

MacMost has good videos. Many others on YouTube are for a very old version of Numbers. Also look in your menu at Help > Numbers Help and the templates at File > New.

SG

Stop formula suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.