Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone number not working

My phone number hasn't been working for a few days on iMessage and FaceTime. I am in another country right now, but I've been able to send and receive messages and FaceTime calls for over a month without any problem (not phone calls, because my cellular data is not available here). I have been using purchased portable wifi for this. Suddenly, I can not send or receive messages. I noticed that in all my chats, it is green (like trying to send with SMS), but then the text messages aren't delivered either. I checked my settings, and I can see that my phone number is not connected to my Apple ID, and I tried to add my phone number to the "Send & Receive" section of the Messages settings, but it only has a loading symbol and "Waiting for activation..." under it. But I can't activate it, because I can't get the verification code sent to my phone number! (Doesn't have an option to send to trusted phone number or email). I have Wifi (connection), and this is not happening to my other family members with iPhones, and I have restarted my phone several times and resigned in to my Apple ID, I've allowed SMS sending (still doesn't work though), but none of it has worked. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, and am worried about not having contact with others! Can someone help please?

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 5:42 PM

iMessage and FaceTime are managed by an Apple server in the UK (country code +44). Your phone must send periodic SMS (text) messages to this server to report the status of your phone, but this means that you need a cellular voice network connection with international SMS enabled to send these messages. If the server doesn’t hear from your phone periodically via SMS it assumes that you are no longer using iMessage or FaceTime.

SMS requires a voice channel connection over the cellular network, and MMS requires both voice and cellular data (it can’t use Wi-Fi), so that’s why your green messages aren’t being delivered.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 5:42 PM in response to juju_bean

iMessage and FaceTime are managed by an Apple server in the UK (country code +44). Your phone must send periodic SMS (text) messages to this server to report the status of your phone, but this means that you need a cellular voice network connection with international SMS enabled to send these messages. If the server doesn’t hear from your phone periodically via SMS it assumes that you are no longer using iMessage or FaceTime.

SMS requires a voice channel connection over the cellular network, and MMS requires both voice and cellular data (it can’t use Wi-Fi), so that’s why your green messages aren’t being delivered.

Phone number not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.