Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media file location keeps resetting

I recently picked up a 2020 M1 Mac mini and am trying to set both the TV and Music apps to store their media files on a Synology NAS. I have a shared folder on the NAS named "Media" and in that have created a folder named "Apple Media". In both the TV and Music apps I then go into the Settings menu and the Files tab, changing the Media folder location to the new folder. I click OK and it seems to work with new media then being stored in that location. But after I reboot the Mac the location has reverted to the onboard storage "/Macintosh HD/Users/guys/Movies/TV/Media".

How do I stop this from resetting?

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 6:46 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 16, 2022 7:12 AM in response to Barney-15E

Spot on! I tried two reboots and on both occasions I opened Finder first and ensured accessed the shared folder so that the NAS was showing the eject icon next to its name, and then opening the TV app the file path was correct. On the third reboot I went straight to the TV app and the file path had reset.

So is there a way to ensure the NAS is being accessed whenever the Mac boots up? I'm new to Mac OS and can't immediately find an equivalent to the approach I'd use in windows of mounting a folder on the NAS as a specific drive that always reconnects on boot. I had assumed from the way that the NAS was showing as a location once I'd accessed it the first time that this was happening automatically but clearly that's not the case.

Media file location keeps resetting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.