Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change iCloud email

Hello Apple Community!

My Apple ID has always been a gmail email address. When I signed up I chose an @icloud.com address I thought I would never use.

I would like to switch to apple mail but want a new @iCloud address.

To clarify, I don't want to change my Apple ID email. I only want to change the iCloud email associated with it so I can send apple mail from that new email address.

Is there a way to change this email address?

Thank you in advance...

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 9:15 PM

Welcome .

The scenarios when changed -

To change to a different iCloud email address, you can't add an email address or change an email address. You need to create a NEW iCloud account.

Not necessary you can add an email address in Mac system preferences > internet accounts , you don't need to create new iCloud account , these mail addresses were already created from other device iPad / iPhone or other Mac , but they can be utilised in your primary Mac , the primary Apple ID of your " Mac A " will be still signed and working .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

You keep your primary one, and then just use the email address associated with your new account.

Yes the primary Apple ID is still signed in , you can use other mail address either fromweb account ( like signing in from gmail server if apple id is created as example2@gmail.com or what ever service you had created .

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2022 9:15 PM in response to saranac

Welcome .

The scenarios when changed -

To change to a different iCloud email address, you can't add an email address or change an email address. You need to create a NEW iCloud account.

Not necessary you can add an email address in Mac system preferences > internet accounts , you don't need to create new iCloud account , these mail addresses were already created from other device iPad / iPhone or other Mac , but they can be utilised in your primary Mac , the primary Apple ID of your " Mac A " will be still signed and working .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

You keep your primary one, and then just use the email address associated with your new account.

Yes the primary Apple ID is still signed in , you can use other mail address either fromweb account ( like signing in from gmail server if apple id is created as example2@gmail.com or what ever service you had created .

Jul 15, 2022 11:01 AM in response to saranac

Sign in with your Apple ID say example1@gmail.com from a web browser at www.icloud.com and click on create a new Apple ID say example2@icloud.com , you have to enter the primary Apple ID credentials to create new mail address ( its an Apple ID ) see the article How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Then add this Apple ID example2 @icloud.com in internet accounts .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support

You can compose a mail from mail application using gmail address and sent to iCloud mail address Write and send emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : the primary Apple ID is still signed in Mac system preferences .

Jul 16, 2022 11:45 PM in response to saranac

As in your screen shot ( second part ) when Apple ID is signed out from Mac system preferences this option appears click on create a Apple ID see a thread I can't create an @icloud.com email addre… - Apple Community

In first part of the screen short , it will be shown when Mac is in process of setting up iCloud Set up your Mac - Apple Support

If you had already an Apple ID in the past sign it with Apple ID and password in Mac system preferences .

In your case the Apple ID if it's signed in Mac system preferences , the other option is create a new Apple ID from www.icloud.com ( click on create a new Apple ID ) .

Jul 16, 2022 11:46 AM in response to tygb

Thank you for such a thorough reply!

I'm stuck on step 1. I don't see "Create a new ID". I don't see it when I try on iCloud.com, nor on system preferences noted in your link (screen shot attached).

How do I get from the system preferences screen to the Apple ID screen?

Thank you for your assist, it's much appreciated.

Jul 21, 2022 6:14 AM in response to tygb

Thank you, this worked.

For others wanting the same thing my confusion was terminology.

To change to a different iCloud email address, you can't add an email address or change an email address. You need to create a NEW iCloud account. You keep your primary one, and then just use the email address associated with your new account.

change iCloud email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.