Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I block texts from a contact using a "shortcode" name?

I've been receiving spam texts from a shortcode rather than a regular mobile number; i.e. the text message shows "FRANLOCAL" instead of a number.

I've tried Messages>Text Message>Click on contact>Info>Block this caller

It appears to work but if I check the contact again it's not showing as blocked. It's not showing in the list of blocked contacts in Settings either.

I tried adding this shortcode number as a contact and going to Settings>Messages>Blocked Contacts>Add New... but the spammy contact is greyed out and I can't add it.

(I've also reported it to my mobile network by forwarding it to 7726 but that hasn't helped.)

I'm based in the UK and running iOS 15.5.

Any suggestions on how to block this type of spammer?

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 11:12 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 18, 2022 7:45 AM in response to Raicya

Thanks. I've already tried blocking using the methods in your link:

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I follow the instructions in the above link to block from Messages. It appears to work, but when I open the contact again the contact is not blocked, and does not appear on my blocked contacts list.

I added this shortcode as a contact to my contacts list and then tried

Settings>Phone>Blocked Contacts>Add New...

The shortcode is the only contact I cannot add. It is greyed out and I can't click on it to add it.

Seems like a bug.

How can I block texts from a contact using a "shortcode" name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.