Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change apple id email to an email that was once an apple id

My apple id account was opened 10 years ago by my mother (I was 12 years old and just got an ipod touch). She entered her mail obviously. Now I'm a grown man who needs his own apple id, so I want to keep the same account but change the email address. The thing is I created an apple id with my personal email address once and deleted it one week ago so I can change the email address in my acount to my personal email address. Although the account I wanted to delete has been deleted, I still cannot change my account email to this one. What can I do?

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 6:21 PM

You can’t reuse the email address from a deleted Apple ID.  From the Apple Support Support article below:

Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes.

How to delete your Apple ID account.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 6:21 PM in response to Elaieck

You can’t reuse the email address from a deleted Apple ID.  From the Apple Support Support article below:

Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes.

How to delete your Apple ID account.

Cannot change apple id email to an email that was once an apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.