You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a locked iPhone still sync with iCloud?

My iPhone is unavailable right now, it is permanently locked. I'm trying to save my data by seeing what I have on my iCloud.

If I clear out my iCloud via a PC, will my unavailable iPhone sync with iCloud and i.e. backup some of the photos from the iPhone to iCloud?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 6:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 6:22 AM

Since the iPhone is unavailable, the only option is to restore the iPhone. After that you will be able to restore your latest backup to restore your content. If you do not have a backup, your content will be lost, except for content you are syncing with iCloud, such as Contacts, etc., whatever you have turned on to sync in iCloud. This would include photos if you are using iCloud Photos to sync your photos across devices. I certainly would not clear out your iCloud via PC, as that will remove the ability for you to turn iCloud back on to sync your content. Not all content syncs with iCloud, so you would also have to restore your backup, whether iCloud or iTunes to get the balance back. If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

Since the iPhone is unavailable, you will not be able to back it up now. Backups have to be made before you experience a problem with the iPhone. If you are using a regular backup schedule, you should be okay.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2022 6:22 AM in response to Elena_Osteikaite

Since the iPhone is unavailable, the only option is to restore the iPhone. After that you will be able to restore your latest backup to restore your content. If you do not have a backup, your content will be lost, except for content you are syncing with iCloud, such as Contacts, etc., whatever you have turned on to sync in iCloud. This would include photos if you are using iCloud Photos to sync your photos across devices. I certainly would not clear out your iCloud via PC, as that will remove the ability for you to turn iCloud back on to sync your content. Not all content syncs with iCloud, so you would also have to restore your backup, whether iCloud or iTunes to get the balance back. If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

Since the iPhone is unavailable, you will not be able to back it up now. Backups have to be made before you experience a problem with the iPhone. If you are using a regular backup schedule, you should be okay.

Will a locked iPhone still sync with iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.