Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel_task take upto 250-300% CPU

i have macbook air 2014 (early) my laptop is working fine till this week, now it starts lagging when is looked at activity manager kernel_task take upto 250-300% CPU.

i find articles about that, all article make conclusion that when macbook get overheat heat it starts a task kernel_task to save CPU,

but my cpu temperature is 35-45 degree celsius

• when i restart my laptop it work fine for 15-30 minutes then again starts lagging
  • i have tried reinstalling mohave but not worked
  • i have tried one tutorial saying to delete some extension files in system folder but not worked
  • i cant upgrade to Big sur because i have only 4gb of ram and big sur takes upto 3gb of it.
  • i can't study due to this issue

any help!!

thank you in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 7:12 AM

Start by making sure the vents on the computer does not have dust and other articles blowing the vents.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2022 7:12 AM in response to Pranav8909

Start by making sure the vents on the computer does not have dust and other articles blowing the vents.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Jul 20, 2022 4:02 AM in response to Pranav8909

Below is the " Detailed Dissection" of the supplied Etrecheck Report dated July 19, 2022

There are a number of issues that appear and have offered some possible solutions or suggestions

Problem: Computer is too slow Description: Kernel_task taking unto 300% of CPU

Q -  No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

A - Under this present setup, this indicates any Persona Data  is expendable and can be replaced. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful 

Q -  System Integrity Protection disabled - System Integrity Protection is disabled. 

A - This has already been mentioned in a separate  reply earlier and should be Enabled 

Q -  Automatic updates disabled - Automatic updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

A - Personal preferences but not suggested 

Q - Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Q -  Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Q -  High battery cycle count - Your battery may be losing capacity.

Q -  Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 1094

A - Batteries are considered Consumable Products. Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced. The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before  needing Evaluation or replacement.

Q - Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Q - EnergyDriver.kext - com.intel.driver.EnergyDriver (3.7.0 - SDK 10.14)

A - This one I am not sure of as it appears to some Third Party extension that was installed. The Operating System is developed by Apple for Apple Computers and should be left to the Operating System to manage such functions.

MacBook Air Model: MacBookAir6,2  1.4 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-4260U) CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

A - Running this computer with 4 GB RAM is doable. Though the machine will struggle to swap into and out of the RAM for most functions. This will further, be an issue, if the machine is running more than a couple of Native Apple  applications at the sometime. It will lead to extra stress on the OS and will be a contributing factor with the Kernel_ Task Issue 

System Software:  macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G9323) 

Q -  System Integrity Protection: Disabled

Q -  Automatic Updates: Disabled

Q -  Security Updates: Disabled

A - All the three above has been covered earlier in this Analysis

Q - Kernel Extensions:  /Library/Extensions

[Loaded] EnergyDriver.kext - com.intel.driver.EnergyDriver (3.7.0 - SDK 10.14)

A - Also covered earlier in the above Analysis

User Launch Agents:

[Loaded] com.microsoft.EdgeUpdater.update-internal.102.0.1247.0.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2022-07-12)

[Loaded] com.microsoft.EdgeUpdater.update.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2022-07-12)

[Loaded] com.microsoft.EdgeUpdater.wake.102.0.1247.0.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2022-07-12)

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:  Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Q - Microsoft Edge 9.72 % (Microsoft Corporation)

Q - Microsoft Edge Helper (Renderer) (8) 6.56 % (Microsoft Corporation)

A - Personal Preference for web Browser but judging from  the amount of  CPU Usages MS Edge is a really Resource and Memory Hog and again a contributor Factor in the Main Issue this computer is experiencing 

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:

Q - Microsoft Edge Helper (Renderer) (8) 915 MB (Microsoft Corporation)

Q - Microsoft Edge 209 MB (Microsoft Corporation)

Q - Microsoft Edge Helper (GPU) 149 MB (Microsoft Corporation)

A - Personal Preference for web Browser but judging from  the amount of  CPU Usages MS Edge is a really Resource and Memory Hog and again a contributor Factor in the Main Issue this computer is experiencing 

A - Alternative browsers are Available and my not be as CPU / Memory Hogs.

I have seen suggested by More Senior Contributors www.brave.com which is like Google Chrome but without the Overhead of Google 

Top Processes Snapshot by Energy Use:

Q - Microsoft Edge 0 (Microsoft Corporation)

Q - Microsoft Edge Helper (3) 0 (Microsoft Corporation)

Q - Microsoft Edge Helper (Renderer) (8) 0 (Microsoft Corporation)

Software Installs (past 60 days):

Q - 2022-07-14 macOS Mojave Security Update 2021-005 (10.14.6)

Q - 2022-07-18 macOS Catalina (10.15.7)

A - Now this is interesting as it is showing macOS 10.15 Catalina has been downloaded and Installed on July 18, 2022. Is that correct  as the report is showing the present OS is Mojave macOS 10.14

Jul 17, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Pranav8909

Great advice so far. :)

If that doesn't get 'er done then...

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jul 20, 2022 2:07 AM in response to Pranav8909

Very Fast glance and see this >>>

System Integrity Protection disabled - System Integrity Protection is disabled.

Anytime the computer is in this state - I strongly suggest otherwise and Re-Enable SIP Immediately

One may be surprised the effects of running with SIP disable can be.

The Reboot the computer and see if the Original Issue persists.

kernel_task take upto 250-300% CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.