Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Website username and password not saved - Keychain Access concern

I set up an account on a website, however, Keychain Access said that my username and password was not saved for that site. I reported that to them and they said that it was not related to their site.

"I'm sorry to hear about that. I kindly suggest you contact whomever you use for personal device technical support, as this is unrelated to our website directly."

Normally, if I remember correctly, I see a popup asking if I want to save such things at websites. Is that a strict function of the website, or is it generated by the website? This never happened here. This happens to be a Texas Government site, which they "upgraded" this year, but in the past, they did save this information to Keychain so I could log in with no issues.

Keychain Access has been saving this information on other sites as expected.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 9:14 AM

Hi danuke,

We see you have a question about Keychain Access saving passwords for a specific website, and we'd like to see if we can help out.

The steps below might be helpful to check your settings for this particular website. Autofill your user name and password in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If you can’t save a password or autofill a saved password
If you can’t save a password for a website, or your password for a website isn’t filled in automatically, try any of the following:
Make sure you selected to autofill passwords: Choose Safari > Preferences, click AutoFill, then make sure “User names and passwords” is selected.
Check whether you chose to never save the password for the website: Choose Safari > Preferences, click Passwords, then unlock your passwords. If a website’s password shows “never saved,” click  to remove it from this list. Then click  to add the website, your user name, and your password to the list.
Make sure you chose to use Touch ID for passwords: If your Mac or Apple keyboard has Touch ID, and you want to use Touch ID to fill in user names and passwords, make sure you select Password AutoFill in the Touch ID pane of System Preferences. See Change Touch ID preferences.

Let us know how it goes when you try the steps suggested for Safari > Preferences > Passwords.

Best wishes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2022 9:14 AM in response to danuke

Hi danuke,

We see you have a question about Keychain Access saving passwords for a specific website, and we'd like to see if we can help out.

The steps below might be helpful to check your settings for this particular website. Autofill your user name and password in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If you can’t save a password or autofill a saved password
If you can’t save a password for a website, or your password for a website isn’t filled in automatically, try any of the following:
Make sure you selected to autofill passwords: Choose Safari > Preferences, click AutoFill, then make sure “User names and passwords” is selected.
Check whether you chose to never save the password for the website: Choose Safari > Preferences, click Passwords, then unlock your passwords. If a website’s password shows “never saved,” click  to remove it from this list. Then click  to add the website, your user name, and your password to the list.
Make sure you chose to use Touch ID for passwords: If your Mac or Apple keyboard has Touch ID, and you want to use Touch ID to fill in user names and passwords, make sure you select Password AutoFill in the Touch ID pane of System Preferences. See Change Touch ID preferences.

Let us know how it goes when you try the steps suggested for Safari > Preferences > Passwords.

Best wishes.

Jul 19, 2022 9:28 AM in response to danuke

Hey danuke,

One thing you can do is to remove the account from the preferences and then go back to the sites and try to sign in again and see if they ask to save the account information. You can then test again and see if the account information is saved and populates.

"Choose Safari > Preferences, click Passwords, then unlock your passwords. click  to remove it from this list. "

Autofill your user name and password in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted.

Jul 19, 2022 9:07 AM in response to ryane77

Thank you for your reply. The settings are indeed selected, I have never modified the passwords settings. There seem to be a few websites that I have encountered that for some reason fail to "save" user names and passwords for some reason; I have no ideas as to why. Evidently as shown in the box that you provided, there is a "manual" option that I can try, IF my 75 year old brain can remember it.

I kinda snuck around it, manually myself, buy editing the Keychain directly. I did not think that it would stick, but it did.

Regarding keyboards, I am using a dasKeyboard, so no touchID with my iMac.

Website username and password not saved - Keychain Access concern

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.