Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts app is buggy

I've had this problem for a while, and tried solutions posted as far back as fall 2021, but no fix. When I try to add a new contact, either manually or by clicking on "add to contacts" from another program, contacts lets me type in the name and maybe company, but then "disappears" what I've just typed... UNLESS I can quickly hit "done" and then open the card again and edit it.

Sometimes, though, even after hitting "DONE" after typing in the name, the new contact does not show up in my contacts list. This has been happenings since I got a new Macbook, running Monterey.

Two questions: 1. How do I fix this? 2. What are alternatives to using Apple's built-in contacts, and can I delete this app if it is not working for me?

Thank you!

Ramona

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 10:16 AM

Contacts works fine for most of us and doesn’t demonstrate misbehavior, which probably means a corruption, and which probably isn’t what you want to hear.

You’re probably headed for an export and import of your contacts data, as I’d suspect some local storage is corrupt. One way to do that is via iCloud, where you get all of that loaded into iCloud, then disassociate locally, wait, restart into Safe Mode and re-associate the Contacts client with iCloud.

Apple does not have an easy and integrated means to export and then re-import contacts, though there are discussions amd add-on tools which might help. Closest means directly from Apple is a mass-export to vCard via iCloud: Import or export a vCard in Contacts on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If you have a VPN or add-on cleaner apps or add-on anti-malware apps—these apps can trigger data corruptions—remove all of that per the vendors’ instructions, restart, and try again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2022 10:16 AM in response to MonaMom

Contacts works fine for most of us and doesn’t demonstrate misbehavior, which probably means a corruption, and which probably isn’t what you want to hear.

You’re probably headed for an export and import of your contacts data, as I’d suspect some local storage is corrupt. One way to do that is via iCloud, where you get all of that loaded into iCloud, then disassociate locally, wait, restart into Safe Mode and re-associate the Contacts client with iCloud.

Apple does not have an easy and integrated means to export and then re-import contacts, though there are discussions amd add-on tools which might help. Closest means directly from Apple is a mass-export to vCard via iCloud: Import or export a vCard in Contacts on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If you have a VPN or add-on cleaner apps or add-on anti-malware apps—these apps can trigger data corruptions—remove all of that per the vendors’ instructions, restart, and try again.

Contacts app is buggy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.