Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't songs that play on my iMac, play on my iPod?

There are lots of songs that I have, that will play on my iMac & iPad, but won't on my two Ipods! They are all imported into my music library as AAC files, yet the only way I can get them to play on the iPods, is to hit the Music app's file menu, and hit the Convert to "Create: AAC file" option. It will then take a song at 256 kbps, & convert it to one at either 128 kbps, or 256 kbps (VBR), whatever VBR means.

Why won't they just play on my iPods in the first place?

Why when they are already AAC files, do I have to convert them to AAC files?

Why do some end up as 128 kbps & others as 256 kbps (VBR)?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 7:10 AM

VBR stands for variable bit rate, essentially a way to allocate more bits to complex sections of music to increase the overall quality while working to a particular maximum bitrate/file size. It is possible that some VBR schemes are not supported by older devices, so converting to a compatible file might help when syncing.

You get to choose what format to convert to using the import setting in the app. You might opt for MP3 or AAC in CBR (constant bit rate). Note there is no benefit to choosing a higher quality conversion than the source.

Having identified an issue with some of your content I would be tempted to backup those files, then generate new copies that work both in your library and sync to your device, and then eliminate the originals so you don't have duplicates to clutter up the library.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 7:10 AM in response to Saxman

VBR stands for variable bit rate, essentially a way to allocate more bits to complex sections of music to increase the overall quality while working to a particular maximum bitrate/file size. It is possible that some VBR schemes are not supported by older devices, so converting to a compatible file might help when syncing.

You get to choose what format to convert to using the import setting in the app. You might opt for MP3 or AAC in CBR (constant bit rate). Note there is no benefit to choosing a higher quality conversion than the source.

Having identified an issue with some of your content I would be tempted to backup those files, then generate new copies that work both in your library and sync to your device, and then eliminate the originals so you don't have duplicates to clutter up the library.

tt2

Aug 1, 2022 8:37 PM in response to Sheree_P

They're 5th Gen iPods, pre-touch models. Not sure what software version is on them, but every time I sync them my Mac says it checked for updates, so it's probably reached the limit of which OS can work in that model. It began happening, probably in the last year or two, likely due to the OS on my Mac, being updated, and it affecting how music files are read. I think it has something to do with something called VBR, as the iPods will play files @ 256 kbps if it also shows it as (VBR), while otherwise it converts 256 kbps files to 128 kbps.

This wouldn't even really be an issue, if the Sound Control (normalization) feature on my new iPad Pro 12.9 actually worked. I can't rely on using it to play tracks on my gigs, as some songs end up blasting through the PA, which is not cool. Wonder why that same feature works fine on my ancient iPods, but not the state-of-the-art iPad Pro. And no one at Apple appears to have a clue as to how it can be fixed... which I find incredible.

Aug 2, 2022 2:03 PM in response to ShannonM1

Not sure how it would be related to storage, why would anything related to storage determine what files can play? It's pretty clear it's got to do with "VBR" for even higher bit rate files will play if they are "VBR", while converting higher rate files adds a lower bit VBR file So I am pretty much forced to have two files in my Music app, of every song that otherwise wouldn't be played on the iPods.

As for the Sound Check, I've already spoken with a number of Apple support people, "geniuses", store manager, and an engineer who said he'd look into it and get back with me, which he didn't.... IMHO, if I buy a device that has something on it that doesn't work, & they can't fix it, I should get a replacement. That's how most companies do business...

Why won't songs that play on my iMac, play on my iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.