Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer voice memos from iPhone SE to my MacBook Air running Monterey?

All the directions I can find use iTunes. I no longer have iTunes. How do I transfer and where do the files go on my comuter?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 1:05 PM

You have two options- you can either sync them through iCloud (if you want the new files to also be in Voice Memos on your Mac) or you can send them through iCloud Drive to get the raw files.

To sync through iCloud-

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, then ensure Voice Memos is on. They should then appear on your Mac's Voice Memos app automatically. (See your recordings on all your Apple devices - Apple Support)

To share with iCloud Drive (quite a bit more complicated- only if the above doesn't work)-

1. Open Voice Memos, then click the circle with three dots in it. Scroll to the bottom of the share menu, then click "Save to Files".
  2. Go to your Cloud Drive with this link and sign in when prompted.
  3. Click the Upload button (a cloud with an up arrow) and select the Voice Memos.
  4. Go to iCloud Drive on your Mac, then select the Voice Memos (click the first one, then hold Shift and click the last one).
  5. Hit the Download button (a cloud with a down arrow) and approve the download. The files will be copied to your computer.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2022 1:05 PM in response to jlw71

You have two options- you can either sync them through iCloud (if you want the new files to also be in Voice Memos on your Mac) or you can send them through iCloud Drive to get the raw files.

To sync through iCloud-

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, then ensure Voice Memos is on. They should then appear on your Mac's Voice Memos app automatically. (See your recordings on all your Apple devices - Apple Support)

To share with iCloud Drive (quite a bit more complicated- only if the above doesn't work)-

1. Open Voice Memos, then click the circle with three dots in it. Scroll to the bottom of the share menu, then click "Save to Files".
  2. Go to your Cloud Drive with this link and sign in when prompted.
  3. Click the Upload button (a cloud with an up arrow) and select the Voice Memos.
  4. Go to iCloud Drive on your Mac, then select the Voice Memos (click the first one, then hold Shift and click the last one).
  5. Hit the Download button (a cloud with a down arrow) and approve the download. The files will be copied to your computer.

Jul 18, 2022 1:05 AM in response to jlw71

You're quite welcome- always happy to help! I'm sorry you had to revert back to emailing to yourself.

A tip for next time (and one I forgot to mention) is that if you have the Voice Memos synced across your devices, you can get the audio files directly on Mac by opening the app, then clicking and dragging it to your desktop or other folder (shown below).

Have a great day!

Jul 17, 2022 12:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks

Re: enable Voice Memos in Settings/[your name]/iCloud, then check the Voice Memos app on your Mac.

Enabled on iPhone and the Mac app downloaded all but 3 - then stopped. I don't know where to find them. They are not in the Voice Memo folder that is in the old iTunes. I've search on some titles.

Re the link: my Mac & iPhone do not do Airdrop. Don't know why.

Jul 17, 2022 12:46 PM in response to -Bubba-

Thanks Bubba,

I've been trying to send them by email. They are small, but many.

I was on the phone with Apple, trying to get both airdrop and the transfers. But got disconnected.

I went to iCloud, but could not find anything about Voice Memos. I know they are the bulk of what's called Documents in the iCloud storage. That's why I'm trying to transfer them.

How do I share on iCloud?

Jul 17, 2022 3:37 PM in response to -Bubba-

Your suggestions were very thorough and I appreciate them. Although I don't understand the reasons, all the directions I received do not match how my computer operates. For ex: I can do #1 and 2 of your directions but #3, "Click the Upload button (a cloud with an up arrow) and select the Voice Memos", I clicked the Upload button and got a window to my hard drive - no Voice Memo to be found.

On my third try Apple call, I finally got a supervisor. Your first suggestion to sync thru icloud I had already done and had the voice memos show up in my Mac's Voice Memos app. But no one could tell me where they were stored on my computer, so I could not verify that they were there and did not want to delete anything.

The end result with the supervisor was to email them to myself. I could have done that intially and saved myself 4-5 hours of thinking there was an easier way. I can finally delete them from my phone. All in a rainy Sunday's work! Argh!

Thank you again, Bubba! I wish I had your knowledge.

How do I transfer voice memos from iPhone SE to my MacBook Air running Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.