Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have an ipad pro 12.9 model 1652. 1st generation. i need a screen protector because the edge od my ipad has cracked. what kind should i purchace?

i have an ipad pro 12.9 model 1652. 1st generation. i need a screen protector because the edge of my ipad has cracked. what kind should i purchase?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 6:34 AM

Adding a screen protector to an already broken screen will not prevent existing screen damage from spreading. Even the lightest pressure from a finger or Pencil/Stylus can cause cracks to significantly spread; even applying the screen protector may cause the damaged area to expand.

The only sure-fire way to preserve usability of your iPad is to seek repair - as already suggested by sberman.

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2022 6:34 AM in response to DAR63

Adding a screen protector to an already broken screen will not prevent existing screen damage from spreading. Even the lightest pressure from a finger or Pencil/Stylus can cause cracks to significantly spread; even applying the screen protector may cause the damaged area to expand.

The only sure-fire way to preserve usability of your iPad is to seek repair - as already suggested by sberman.

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

Jul 17, 2022 5:44 PM in response to DAR63

Plenty of screen protectors for the 2015/2016/2017 1st and 2nd gen, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pros on Amazon.

If you purchase a glass screen protector, get the thinness glass screen protector possible because if using an Apple Pencil, thicker glass screen protectors can interfere with the screen response of an Apple Pencil.

At this point, you might be better off purchasing a cheaper, thin, plastic film screen protector, instead.

These can, also, be found on Amazon.

Best of Luck to You!

i have an ipad pro 12.9 model 1652. 1st generation. i need a screen protector because the edge od my ipad has cracked. what kind should i purchace?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.