Related Article: How to download apps and content that your family members purchased

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage is used up. Can I buy my own storage and still be with family sharing for other stuff?

I am not the Family sharing organizer. There are three family members in our Family sharing. Among other things, we share iCloud storage (2 Tb). The other two family members are using up almost all of the storage.It seems to me that anyone of us could purchase his/her own 2 Tb of iCloud Storage. But we would like to continue using Family Sharing for all other sharing aspects. The new person who purchases a new iCloud storage would use that storage on her own, but we would like that person to continue using Family sharing (except the Family sharing iCloud storage). I have literally read dozens of articles about the Family sharing and iCloud Storage. However, none of them specifically explain what happens when a member of Family Sharing wants to purchase his/her own storage while still being part of that Family sharing group (except the iCloud storage). Assuming what I've described is possible, how can the person who purchased the new 2Tb storage account transfer what was stored in the Family Shared iCloud Storage into its own iCloud Storage?. Can anyone shed some light on the subject. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 11:26 AM

Hi mancinrob22,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! If the family member decides to have their own iCloud+ account, they can still continue to use other features of Family Sharing. They will simply have their own iCloud storage subscription that will be charge to the Family Organizer's payment method.

They will not need to transfer any information because the data is link to their iCloud account, they are simply changing their subscription. If the amount of data exceeds the amount of storage they change to, new photos and videos will not upload and the iOS device will stop backing up.

Check out the following resources:

Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2022 11:26 AM in response to mancinrob22

Hi mancinrob22,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! If the family member decides to have their own iCloud+ account, they can still continue to use other features of Family Sharing. They will simply have their own iCloud storage subscription that will be charge to the Family Organizer's payment method.

They will not need to transfer any information because the data is link to their iCloud account, they are simply changing their subscription. If the amount of data exceeds the amount of storage they change to, new photos and videos will not upload and the iOS device will stop backing up.

Check out the following resources:

Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

Hope that helps!

iCloud storage is used up. Can I buy my own storage and still be with family sharing for other stuff?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.