Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro restarted for no reason while playing video games, kernal_task error

The log report is below. Does anyone know what I can do about it? I've read that third-party downloaded apps may cause this issue and the video game was a third-party download. I've received the kernal_task error numerous times before. I've done a diagnostic report to check for any hardware issues in the past and nothing came up from it. I am on macOS Monterey 12.3.1.

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 5:11 PM

It appears you have a MBPro 13" (2017) non-touchbar model running macOS 12.3.1.

There is a newer macOS update available v12.4. macOS Monterey has seen a lot of compatibility issues so maybe this update will fix it.

The kernel panic is referencing the integrated GPU.

IGPU] sendHostToGucMessage: Firmware communication error: no action response!

It is hard to say whether this could be an issue with the game, or a macOS issue, or a hardware issue. The "firmware communication error" can imply a hardware issue, or maybe the game or GPU driver tried to do something non-sensical so the firmware became locked and unable to respond.

Check to make sure your game(s) are compatible with this specific Mac and integrated GPU as well as macOS Monterey (including the specific patch level 12.3.1 or 12.4). You may need to check with the game developer and check the game forum for your specific game as you are much more likely to get help there if the issue only occurs while gaming. Games are in their own category and will regularly encounter GPU issues and performance issues.

You can try looking for software issues by running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the report will include more details which may provide more clues.

You can run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You should see if your laptop qualifies for either of these free Apple repair programs:

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program - Apple Support

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Battery Replacement Program - Apple Support

FYI, here is the current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple programs (some products like your laptop have multiple programs available -- I did not list them all):

Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2022 5:11 PM in response to KennethDo

It appears you have a MBPro 13" (2017) non-touchbar model running macOS 12.3.1.

There is a newer macOS update available v12.4. macOS Monterey has seen a lot of compatibility issues so maybe this update will fix it.

The kernel panic is referencing the integrated GPU.

IGPU] sendHostToGucMessage: Firmware communication error: no action response!

It is hard to say whether this could be an issue with the game, or a macOS issue, or a hardware issue. The "firmware communication error" can imply a hardware issue, or maybe the game or GPU driver tried to do something non-sensical so the firmware became locked and unable to respond.

Check to make sure your game(s) are compatible with this specific Mac and integrated GPU as well as macOS Monterey (including the specific patch level 12.3.1 or 12.4). You may need to check with the game developer and check the game forum for your specific game as you are much more likely to get help there if the issue only occurs while gaming. Games are in their own category and will regularly encounter GPU issues and performance issues.

You can try looking for software issues by running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access" the report will include more details which may provide more clues.

You can run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You should see if your laptop qualifies for either of these free Apple repair programs:

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program - Apple Support

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Battery Replacement Program - Apple Support

FYI, here is the current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple programs (some products like your laptop have multiple programs available -- I did not list them all):

Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

Macbook Pro restarted for no reason while playing video games, kernal_task error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.