Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad activation lock

Hi, my friend has got an iPad 2. He forgot the password and had it disabled. After that connected to iTunes then restored it and then fixed. The problem is he also forgot his apple id and password we tried reset the password many times but no use without id. So not having any other choice we created a new account. The problem is we cant sign in because his previous id is still linked with the iPad so it wont let us sign in and we have no access to the previous id and password now. I tried forgot apple id and password but that also did not work because he changed his email in the past. He only has 1 pc and 1 iPad. So please help!!!

iPad 2

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 9:48 AM

Activation Lock cannot be removed by anyone, Apple or otherwise, unless you have the proper credentials (or in certain circumstances).

If your friend is the original owner of the iPad (that is, he still has the receipt from a genuine Apple reseller, you can start an Activation Lock support request.

Otherwise, I'm afraid the iPad is useless until your friend remembers the password.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2022 9:48 AM in response to pyro43

Activation Lock cannot be removed by anyone, Apple or otherwise, unless you have the proper credentials (or in certain circumstances).

If your friend is the original owner of the iPad (that is, he still has the receipt from a genuine Apple reseller, you can start an Activation Lock support request.

Otherwise, I'm afraid the iPad is useless until your friend remembers the password.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Jul 18, 2022 10:57 AM in response to pyro43

See if he can recover the ID/password. An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID. Use every email address he can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple  -  

Apple ID - Find  -     

Other ways to find his Apple ID

He can check to see if he is signed in to the App Store, FaceTime, or Messages on his iPad or check to see if he is signed in to iTunes for Windows on a PC. He can also go to iCloud.com or appleid.apple.com and see if his Apple ID prefills on the sign-in screen.   

If he forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if he can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

iPad activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.