Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell which apps are from Family Sharing?

Hello,

We recently upgraded a family member’s iPhone, and in the process of doing so, she was prompted for my AppleID information to allow her to download apps that she had previously loaded by virtue of my having purchased them. That’s fine, but she’s old enough now to have her own downloads for most or all of these (so that she doesn’t have that dependency on my AppleID in the future).

Is there an easy way for her to see which apps are on her phone by virtue of Family Sharing, so she can download them herself?

Thanks,

Todd

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 10:44 AM

You would have to manually see which Apps that are installed are not shown under her Purchase History.

1. Open the App Store app.
  2. Tap the sign-in button  or your photo at the top of the screen.
  3. Tap Purchased.
  4. If you use Family Sharing, tap My Purchases or choose a family member’s name to see content that they purchased.
  5. Compare those Apps to the ones installed. Anything installed that is not in the list would belong to a different Apple ID.

Do note, what you describer means you were not actually using Family Sharing. Having installed Apps form another Apple ID means they were using that Apple ID for the App Store and as such would be entirely defeating the purpose of Family Sharing. As Apple IDs have access to all their purchases regardless of what device they are signed in. The purpose of Family Sharing is to let people with other Apple IDs access purchases made by other members of the group without needing the Apple ID of thew family member that made the purchases. Installing those apps through Family Sharing would in no way require the original Apple ID for updates or installations.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2022 10:44 AM in response to Frederick Wilson

You would have to manually see which Apps that are installed are not shown under her Purchase History.

1. Open the App Store app.
  2. Tap the sign-in button  or your photo at the top of the screen.
  3. Tap Purchased.
  4. If you use Family Sharing, tap My Purchases or choose a family member’s name to see content that they purchased.
  5. Compare those Apps to the ones installed. Anything installed that is not in the list would belong to a different Apple ID.

Do note, what you describer means you were not actually using Family Sharing. Having installed Apps form another Apple ID means they were using that Apple ID for the App Store and as such would be entirely defeating the purpose of Family Sharing. As Apple IDs have access to all their purchases regardless of what device they are signed in. The purpose of Family Sharing is to let people with other Apple IDs access purchases made by other members of the group without needing the Apple ID of thew family member that made the purchases. Installing those apps through Family Sharing would in no way require the original Apple ID for updates or installations.

How to tell which apps are from Family Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.