Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupt Contacts · Monterey 12.4 & iOS 15.5

I purchased an iMac Pro 27” running Monterey to replace my late 2012 27” running Catalina. I’m having an issue with just a few contacts across my devices. I will delete them, re-enter them, and in 12 to 24 hours, they will revert back to missing photos and information. 

Attached is my contact card in my iPhone 13 Pro Max with my information. It was correct this morning and a few hours later, the photo vanishes and there is a large string of letters and numbers in the ‘country’(USA) field of my address. I have deleted these contacts and re-entered them, turned off contacts on my phone and deleted all contacts on my phone, then toggled contacts back on, I have done the following on my Mac: 

Opened: ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

In that folder I deleted these three files,

• addressbook-v22.abcddb
  • addressbook-v22.abcddb-wal
  • addressbook-v22.abcddb-shm

Re-opened Contacts to rebuild index. 

The problem persists and I do not know what else to do. I called Apple and they were of no help at all. I never had any issues of this sort before. I can go into my contact card on my iPhone 13 (v 15.5) and change my phone number label to ‘iPhone’ and in real time (about 3 seconds) it will change the label from ‘iPhone’ to ‘mobile’ on its own. I have iCloud, Exchange, and Gmail in Internet Accounts in Contacts settings on my Mac and have toggled all of the contacts ‘off’ in each account to try and isolate the issue; the problem persists. 

I am stumped and any corrections I make are short-lived. It will ultimately revert back to these same errors and corrupted fields in a handful of my contacts, and my own personal contact card is pretty important. 

Any insight on how to fix my issue would greatly be appreciated! Thank you, CS. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 11:34 AM

Thank you!

I was able to ascertain that Outlook was the cause of the issue. My contacts were corrupt in New Outlook and Legacy Outlook and my issue persisted regardless of which version I was currently using. I found Microsoft support to be worthless. I unchecked contacts from my Exchange account on my iMac under Internet Accounts (I also unchecked Gmail), switched to iCloud as the default account under Contacts on my iPhone, exported all my contacts from Gmail to iCloud (you can also do this with your Exchange contacts if you like but just know it is csv to vCard/vcf), and then restored all Contacts under the advanced section on iCloud.com to the day before I bought my latest and greatest MS Office license for my new Mac, which was last week and the source of my corrupted Contacts pain. I circled back and double-checked all aforementioned settings after the restore and so far my contacts are all intact with no item1.X-ABADR:us or missing pictures.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2022 11:34 AM in response to picas

Thank you!

I was able to ascertain that Outlook was the cause of the issue. My contacts were corrupt in New Outlook and Legacy Outlook and my issue persisted regardless of which version I was currently using. I found Microsoft support to be worthless. I unchecked contacts from my Exchange account on my iMac under Internet Accounts (I also unchecked Gmail), switched to iCloud as the default account under Contacts on my iPhone, exported all my contacts from Gmail to iCloud (you can also do this with your Exchange contacts if you like but just know it is csv to vCard/vcf), and then restored all Contacts under the advanced section on iCloud.com to the day before I bought my latest and greatest MS Office license for my new Mac, which was last week and the source of my corrupted Contacts pain. I circled back and double-checked all aforementioned settings after the restore and so far my contacts are all intact with no item1.X-ABADR:us or missing pictures.

Jul 18, 2022 5:17 PM in response to Ceelo456

I was having problems with my contact card (which I used as My Card) a few months ago whereby it was randomly changing the User Profile pic. I exported the card, and deleted it from Contacts. I then went into Users & Groups and created a new card with the correct profile pic and used that as My Card. I then imported the deleted contact card, and haven't had any problems since.

You could also try using just the iCloud account for all contacts and turning off the other accounts and see if that helps.

Corrupt Contacts · Monterey 12.4 & iOS 15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.