Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact card corruption

I have searched all over the web for a solution to this. I sync my contacts across Mac, iPhone and iPads. Beginning about a month ago I noticed contacts I have entered are appending a string of characters after phone numbers. I usually find this has happened by asking Siri to call someone and she doesn't have a number for them since it looks something like this: 4105551212X-image-randomstringoftext.

I did find a similar problem through a search, which seemed to point at corruption through a connection to outlook.com contacts. I removed syncing from my MS account AND removed outlook app on all devices along with the passwords to connect inside iCloud. I reduced everything on all devices to only iCloud this morning, removing my employer office365 contact syncing too.

I recently moved from Windows due to contact syncing problems with Android/Windows. I simply can't have this going on and don't want to move back to Windows ever. This is my only problem with the Apple ecosystem so far and otherwise I love it.

This morning, another contact which I had recently added a photo to became corrupted but this time the string was added in the address field and not the phone number. Here's a screen grab. This only appears to be happening with contacts that I add photos to.

This was added in the "country" box:

Any ideas on how to fix this? Keep in mind I'm still a Windows/Office guy of 22+ years with extreme comfort looking under the hood of Windows...Mac, not so much at all.

Thanks

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 5:16 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 7, 2022 5:24 AM in response to DerekM87

Just so all are aware, the problem seems to have resolved. I didn't do more extensive troubleshooting, but I removed the only remaining contact sync besides iCloud. It was my employer office365 connection so I could see their directory both on my MacBook and iPad on the go.

I had read elsewhere that outlook.com corrupts things in a similar manner and hypothesized that since it looks an awful lot like office365 and basically is on the back end now, perhaps office 365 is the culprit here.

After more than a week now I have watch the most recently added 5 contacts and they remain corruption-free.

I think we can chalk this up to Microsoft not playing nicely with Mac...go figure.

Contact card corruption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.