Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do i keep getting these error messages for Google and others security when the details seem correct?

Why do i keep getting these error messages for Google and others security when the details seem correct.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 1:04 AM

For information, the serial number here relates to the signing-certificate to which your screenshot relates; it does not relate to your device or include any personal data.

Self-signed SSL certificates (as illustrated) have no chain-of-trust to a Root Certificate Authority (Root CA). As such, you will receive security warnings - as your session is insecure and is likely being monitored by a third-party.

Is the iPad your own, or managed by a Corporate or Educational organisation? If so, your traffic may be being monitored by the organisation that manages your iPad.

Alternatively, are you connecting to the internet using a VPN service? If so, this may explain the issue.

Otherwise, try connecting to a different network or internet provider - and retest your connection.

While PKI encryption is a complex topic, there are many good primers available that may provide you with some insight suitable for your technical skill level. Perhaps look at Wikipedia - where you will find a good overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_infrastructure

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2022 1:04 AM in response to Peter Dromgoole1

For information, the serial number here relates to the signing-certificate to which your screenshot relates; it does not relate to your device or include any personal data.

Self-signed SSL certificates (as illustrated) have no chain-of-trust to a Root Certificate Authority (Root CA). As such, you will receive security warnings - as your session is insecure and is likely being monitored by a third-party.

Is the iPad your own, or managed by a Corporate or Educational organisation? If so, your traffic may be being monitored by the organisation that manages your iPad.

Alternatively, are you connecting to the internet using a VPN service? If so, this may explain the issue.

Otherwise, try connecting to a different network or internet provider - and retest your connection.

While PKI encryption is a complex topic, there are many good primers available that may provide you with some insight suitable for your technical skill level. Perhaps look at Wikipedia - where you will find a good overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_infrastructure

Jul 18, 2022 11:37 PM in response to Peter Dromgoole1

Peter Dromgoole1 Said:

"I didn’t take a photo of the first error message, which is something like ‘ google server not trusted’ and then i click on details as shown. I sometimes get these type of messages for other servers. Do I need to be concerned or just ignore these."

-------

Trusting a Website:

Are you using a Google Account on your device? If so, add the account to it: Add an eMail Account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 18, 2022 11:19 PM in response to Peter Dromgoole1

Peter Dromgoole1 Said:

"Why do i keep getting these error messages for Google and others security when the details seem correct."

-------

Important:

Keep personal info(Serial Numbers) off of these forums. They are out for there every one to read. I have asked the host to remove the image from your post.

Please Clarify your Post:

So, what exactly is the error message?

Jul 19, 2022 1:23 AM in response to Peter Dromgoole1

Server errors that indicate “trust” issues have many potential causes. Where a trust-chain is broken (e.g., SSL/TLS Packet Inspection - that can occur when connected to corporate networks), while the SSL/TLS session may still connect, you’ll likely see security warnings.

As your screenshot has been deleted - and not replaced with specific wording of the error(s) that you see - it is impossible to provide definitive comment as to the nature or likely cause of your issue.

If you can document and post the precise wording - or post additional screenshots of the errors that you see (redacting personal information if shown), appropriate authoritative guidance may be possible.

Jul 24, 2022 5:57 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for your explanation. It took me three goes to post this - I had too remove the serial number to prevent Apple deleting my post (they did it twice!). I also thought it was not my serial number.

My ipad and iPhone are personal not business

I am connected to the internet via my WiFi which is a BT router. I do not use a VPN service.

My phone network is O2

I will look at your link for further info thanks

Jul 24, 2022 7:19 AM in response to Peter Dromgoole1

Thanks for the additional information.

Review of this thread indicates that TheLittles reported your post to the ASC hosts - for showing a serial number - without actually understanding what was being reported or its significance to the problem at hand. A Certificate Serial Number is perfectly safe to post here as it conveys absolutely no personal or device data. It seems that, as a result, your screenshots were summarily deleted. No matter - as with persistence we got there in the end.

Moving on, given your reference to both “BT” and “O2”, I conclude that your are situated in the UK. As such, I’ll also surmise that you a using a BT-supplied broadband router - likely a BT HomeHub or BT SmartHub with a domestic Broadband contract.

If my assumptions are correct, you have no direct control over the choice of DNS Resolver as configured on the Broadband router. As such, for diagnostic purposes, I suggest that you manually set the DNS server settings on your iPad - choosing one of the following DNS providers:

Quad9 (recommended)

2620:fe::fe

2620:fe::9

OpenDNS

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

Cloudflare+APNIC

2606:4700:4700::1111

2606:4700:4700::1001

For each of the providers listed above, redundant IPv6 and IPv4 server IP Addresses have been listed (i.e., four server addresses in all). You should enter all four addresses - exactly as shown (although the order is inconsequential).

You can set the DNS server addresses manually for each WiFi network to which you connect:

Settings > WiFi > [Your WiFi Network / SSID] - tap the blue “i” icon - [DNS] Configure DNS - select Manual

Next, individually add each of the four DNS server addresses exactly as shown - using the green “+” button. When all have been added, delete the unwanted entries using the red “-“ button - the save and exit the Settings App. Now retest your connection and SSL session.

Why do i keep getting these error messages for Google and others security when the details seem correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.