Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Ver 6 need to upgrade to Ver 7.

iMac 27" 5k Mid 2015.

Not sure what I may have done, but appears I have Photos ver 6 and not able to import photos library. Keep getting window saying 'need newer version, upgrade to open this library". Also, Photos Library is 'greyed out'. I have 56GB of photos & desperately don't want to lose them.

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 3:47 AM

Photos 7 is included with macOS Monterey. macOS Monterey requires iMac (27-inch, 5K Retina, Late 2015) or later.

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If you use iCloud Photo Library, you should be able to sync your photos with iCloud and your other devices, and you can rebuild your photo library and sync with iCloud.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2022 3:47 AM in response to frr3man

Photos 7 is included with macOS Monterey. macOS Monterey requires iMac (27-inch, 5K Retina, Late 2015) or later.

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If you use iCloud Photo Library, you should be able to sync your photos with iCloud and your other devices, and you can rebuild your photo library and sync with iCloud.

Jul 19, 2022 4:29 AM in response to frr3man

it is not possible to open a Photos 7 library in Photos 6 as Photos 6 cannot understand the newer format. You have to restore an older version of the Photos Library from the backups you made before you opened the library in Photos 7. Or create a new Photos 6 version by downloading the photos from iCloud Photos to a new empty library on your mac with Photos 6.

Photos Ver 6 need to upgrade to Ver 7.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.