Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27” (2011) SSD Upgrade

Hi,

I have an older iMac that I’d like to upgrade with an internal SSD, but I’ve run into a weird problem. I bought a new Crucial mx500 1 TB SSD and installed it, but I wasn’t able to install High Sierra on it. The installer would always hang at the end. Eventually, I determined that the drive was not passing the disk first aid check. (It gave an exit code of 8, even after successfully being formatted as HFS+.)

Thinking it might be a problem with the new SSD, I removed it from the iMac and installed it in an external USB enclosure. When it’s connected that way, it can be successfully formatted, and disk first aid reports no errors. I then installed High Sierra on it and was able to boot from it with no issues at all. So now it doesn’t seem to be a problem with the SSD but rather some strange issue that only appears when the drive is connected via SATA internally. Weirdly though, I’ve never had any problems using a spinning hard drive with the same internal SATA connector.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Posted on Jul 19, 2022 6:30 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 19, 2022 9:10 AM in response to den.thed

Hi,

For the drive adapter, I’m using this one from NewerTech:

https://www.newertech.com/products/adaptadrive.php

The external USB enclosure I was experimenting with was actually designed for a 3.5” drive itself, so I used the adapter when I installed the SSD in it as well. The fact that it worked there seems to exonerate the adapter.

For the SATA cable with temp sensor, I had actually changed out the hard drive in this machine a number of years ago and at that time bought a cable with temp sensor from OWC. That’s always seemed to work fine, so I just reused it for the SSD.

Thanks for your help!

iMac 27” (2011) SSD Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.