Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD doesn't appear in the macOS Monterey Installer after being erased in Disk Utility

After an attempt to wipe all the data on the internal SSD and reinstall the OS I discovered that so far I have only managed to brick the MacBook. When I was trying to the wipe the data Disk Utility let me know that I am not supposed to delete APFS partitions rather whole groups. It did prompt me with a message saying that Internet would be needed when install the system later. That's fine, I have internet access. The problem is now that the SSD is no longer visible in the installer. Also, when I try to Erase it again in Disk Utility an error pops claiming the disk couldn't be unmounted because it's still being used by the kernel.

I tried making a bootable USB device (with the installer for macOS Monterey) from another Mac, but it only goes as far as the loading stage and then just stays there.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 6:32 AM

Managed to fix problem. As it turns out in the startup recovery mode Terminal is available. From there I created using the CLI an APFS partition in the internal SSD and then it appeared in the Installer as an option.

$ diskutil addPartition /dev/disk0s1 APFS MacOS 0

Similar questions

1 reply

SSD doesn't appear in the macOS Monterey Installer after being erased in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.