Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Can't Reinstall MacOS or Access Internal Disk, APPLE SSD AP0512R Media

I recently erased my 2021 Macbook pro and after rebooting it into internet recovery, so I could reinstall the macOS. It's showing there is no disk or destination to install it to. I went into the Into disk utility under 'internal', I only have 'APPLE SSD AP0512R Media'. I can't partition it and first aid says there is no issue with the disk. Below are a few screenshots of the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 5:51 AM

Is this an Intel Mac or an M1/M2 Mac? This is very important. With an M1/M2 Mac with Apple Silicon you cannot erase the whole physical SSD as the Mac requires certain hidden partitions and utilities to be on the internal SSD for basic operations to boot to the special startup menu. If you need to erase a Mac with Apple Silicon you can now only erase the hidden Container which has the "Macintosh HD" APFS volumes. You may be able to go to the "Partition" tab and add a new "partition" (aka Container) to provide a destination for the macOS installation. If that does not work, then you will need to "Restore" the firmware using the instructions in this Apple article:

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

If you have an Intel Mac, then you should be able to erase the whole physical SSD. However, if you are having issues, then you may need to "Restore" the T2 firmware using the instructions in this Apple article:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2022 5:51 AM in response to Community User

Is this an Intel Mac or an M1/M2 Mac? This is very important. With an M1/M2 Mac with Apple Silicon you cannot erase the whole physical SSD as the Mac requires certain hidden partitions and utilities to be on the internal SSD for basic operations to boot to the special startup menu. If you need to erase a Mac with Apple Silicon you can now only erase the hidden Container which has the "Macintosh HD" APFS volumes. You may be able to go to the "Partition" tab and add a new "partition" (aka Container) to provide a destination for the macOS installation. If that does not work, then you will need to "Restore" the firmware using the instructions in this Apple article:

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

If you have an Intel Mac, then you should be able to erase the whole physical SSD. However, if you are having issues, then you may need to "Restore" the T2 firmware using the instructions in this Apple article:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

I Can't Reinstall MacOS or Access Internal Disk, APPLE SSD AP0512R Media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.