Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect Mac Mini and Windows Laptop to one screen?

I have a Windows Laptop connected to a little hub that runs the Mouse and Keyword, as well as the Monitor on HDMI.

I want to get a Mac Mini rather than a Mac itself. Considerably cheaper, and I know I will want to switch between my Windows Laptop and the Mac, keeping my trusty keyboard and Mouse.

So the question is, what do I need to connect my Windows Laptop (and it's connected devices) and a Mac Mini, so I can flick a switch to go between the two on the one setup?

I would assume it is one box, where I connect a USB to it from both devices, and on that device, I connect the 'hub' for the Mouse, Keyboard, Webcam and Monitor? (though the monitor might be on my Laptop).

Hope someone can help.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 11:43 AM

You’d usually want a KVM switch as a separate box, or (less likely) a monitor with an integrated KVM switch.

The KVM box or the monitor-integrated KVM will need matching connections for your particular hardware; probably miniDisplayPort or HDMI or Thunderbolt or whatever for video, and probably USB-A keyboard and mouse connections for that. Many (but far from all) monitors can have multiple video inputs. Fewer will have inputs for keyboard and mouse—Gigabyte, MSI, Samsung, and Dell do seem to have some KVM-integrated monitors on offer, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch

I’ve had middling success with KVMs. Some have worked fine, and some get the display or the keyboard confused. Models from Raritan and Belkin have worked for some installs, though I’ve not installed a KVM in the past several years and available models will likely have changed.

If the Mac mini you are acquiring has an Intel processor and has enough storage, you can run both Windows and Mac on the Mac mini, either alternately using Boot Camp, or both together using a virtual machine; a hypervisor. Newer Macs including many of the current Mac mini models will have an Apple silicon processor and not an Intel processor, and with no way to purchase a supported version for that (yet?).

Or you can use an app on Windows such as the Microsoft RDP client to access the Mac “headless”. That will have a number of trade-offs, of course.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2022 11:43 AM in response to simon_a6

You’d usually want a KVM switch as a separate box, or (less likely) a monitor with an integrated KVM switch.

The KVM box or the monitor-integrated KVM will need matching connections for your particular hardware; probably miniDisplayPort or HDMI or Thunderbolt or whatever for video, and probably USB-A keyboard and mouse connections for that. Many (but far from all) monitors can have multiple video inputs. Fewer will have inputs for keyboard and mouse—Gigabyte, MSI, Samsung, and Dell do seem to have some KVM-integrated monitors on offer, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch

I’ve had middling success with KVMs. Some have worked fine, and some get the display or the keyboard confused. Models from Raritan and Belkin have worked for some installs, though I’ve not installed a KVM in the past several years and available models will likely have changed.

If the Mac mini you are acquiring has an Intel processor and has enough storage, you can run both Windows and Mac on the Mac mini, either alternately using Boot Camp, or both together using a virtual machine; a hypervisor. Newer Macs including many of the current Mac mini models will have an Apple silicon processor and not an Intel processor, and with no way to purchase a supported version for that (yet?).

Or you can use an app on Windows such as the Microsoft RDP client to access the Mac “headless”. That will have a number of trade-offs, of course.

Jul 21, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Rudegar

Rudegar wrote:

depend on the monitor too, i don't use any kvm or the likes my 27" asus monitor have 2 hdmi and 1 dvi and I can switch between them on a front panel button, i have my work laptop and my windows desktop and my mac mini connected to it and switch between them

That works fine for switching the display alone, but not so well for sharing the same keyboard and mouse as was requested.

How can I connect Mac Mini and Windows Laptop to one screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.