Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iCloud Drive to my Mac immediately creates 100gb of system storage - OS Monterey

I love iCloud and have been using it since forever. I understand that iCloud Drive is not a perfect cloud feature and is mostly about syncing files across devices. As an owner of an iPad, 2 Macbooks, and 2 iPhones, I really love iCloud.

The problem started when my Macbook Air for work became glitchy as I was lacking enough free space. I did a factory reboot and downloaded the new OS Monterey (yay!). Just in case, I didn't reboot through Time Machine back up. I wanted the Macbook as clean as possible. As soon as I synced my iCloud Drive, i gained 97 gb of system storage and I was again out of storage (121 gb Macbook Air)

I got angry and unsynced my iCloud Drive.

Doublechecked that Time Machine was never on after the reboot.

And then I deleted my cached files through finder > option Go > Library > Caches.

= 12.4 gb of system storage

I became happier and decided to sync iCloud Drive again (because I need the easy navigation for work), but then system data started increasing and became 97 gb AGAIN.

I assume that a STUCK "WAITING TO DOWNLOAD" (NOT upload) iCloud action is the culprit of this mess. But I have no method of tracking this action and deleting it. And now, I can't sync iCloud Drive to my Mac. This is VERY frustrating.

Need solutions for the below:

• Reason why syncing iCloud Drive would immediately cause a 90 gb increase of system data
  • How to isolate the system data associated with my iCloud Drive
  • How to delete the associated system data so that I can sync my iCloud Drive with my Macbook again.

Please help.

Went through THREE calls with Apple Support and no help for now.

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 12:22 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 21, 2022 5:09 AM in response to uberpseudo

You did not mention in your question, if you have enabled „optimize Mac Storage“ in the system preferences for iCloud. If Optimize is not enabled, all documents and data from iCloud Drive will be mirrored on your Mac as shadow copies. You can remove the local downloads selectively by selecting a file or folder on iCloud drive , ctrl click it, then use the command Remove Download, if it is shown.

Syncing iCloud Drive to my Mac immediately creates 100gb of system storage - OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.