Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos keeps going into Restore.. mode

Using Monterey 12.4 but seem to have problems for some time.

Photos with use, gets into some undefined state where by every time I try to open photos it immediately goes into restore mode.

The only way to fix it is to restart my iMac and then start photos. I hate having to restart my mac every time I want to use photos.

It appears to get into some state where after closing an open session of photos, everytime I restart photos it brings up the Restore.. screen.

I have run rebuild on the database. it doesn't seem to make a difference.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 11:06 PM

You may want to check, if your current Photos Library is causing the problem. Create a new Photos Library in your Pictures folder (Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)), import a few JPEGs and test, if Photos can work with this library and open it again after closing Photos. If Photos can work with the new library, I would make a backup copy of your current library, then make the new Library your System Photos Library and enable iCloud Photos for this library. This will recreate your library from the photos in iCloud. I had to do the same after upgrading to Monterey and Photos could not fix the current library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2022 11:06 PM in response to hopewelwoodwork

You may want to check, if your current Photos Library is causing the problem. Create a new Photos Library in your Pictures folder (Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)), import a few JPEGs and test, if Photos can work with this library and open it again after closing Photos. If Photos can work with the new library, I would make a backup copy of your current library, then make the new Library your System Photos Library and enable iCloud Photos for this library. This will recreate your library from the photos in iCloud. I had to do the same after upgrading to Monterey and Photos could not fix the current library.

Photos keeps going into Restore.. mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.