Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iMac shows password lock screen when booting from USB

So I have an old 2007-08 iMac. I was planning on fixing it and giving it to my sister, since she thinks she can put good use to it. What are it’s problems? Well it has a dead hard drive, only 2 gigabytes of ram, and it really needs to get it’s components replaced. So I have an external hard drive and a Mac OS Yosemite install drive and was planning on putting the os in the external drive. But when I turned it on, it showed me a password entry screen. I didn’t really think much of it, since I actually remembered the password. It ended in 1432 or 1423. But when I pressed enter, they both did not work. It didn’t even show an error screen. I know I can run the os from an external drive, since I did that before it failed. And I encrypted the external drive with the os installed. Which leads me to now. So I’m wondering now if it stored my password data on the boot partition. But since there are no more boot partitions because of my hard drive failing, that means the ability to enter a password is lost. And I dont know what to do. So can anyone help?

Picture of locked screen. Sorry for the terrible lighting.

iMac

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 3:54 AM

It looks like your Mac is locked with a firmware password. This means that you cannot boot from usb without entering the firmware password

it is not possible to remove a firmware password yourself.

You can try If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

I don't know if this is still possible with a Mac of this age, but you can always try and make a call.

See this link for further reference

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2022 3:54 AM in response to Community User

It looks like your Mac is locked with a firmware password. This means that you cannot boot from usb without entering the firmware password

it is not possible to remove a firmware password yourself.

You can try If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

I don't know if this is still possible with a Mac of this age, but you can always try and make a call.

See this link for further reference

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 22, 2022 2:22 PM in response to Community User

UPDATE: Fixed!

I did not set up an appointment with apple, since I got this computer in 2008 and do not have the receipt. But I was able to find a work around for pre-2011 intel based macs that allows me to completely bypass EFI lock. It explains it all in this tutorial. https://mac-optimization.bestreviews.net/bypassing-efi-lock-on-your-mac/

Thank you all for the help with identifying the problem! :)

Jul 22, 2022 8:47 AM in response to WheelieNick

That’s what I was hoping. I thought the computer was soft-locked because it lost the boot password on the external hard drive with the os. Thank you :)

Old iMac shows password lock screen when booting from USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.