Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't make calls after iOS 15.6 update

Updated my phones to ios 15.6, now I can not dial out.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 6:13 AM

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone:

You might not be able to make or receive calls on your iPhone if you have certain settings turned on, if your software isn't up to date, or if there's a problem with your network.

Find out what to do if you see "No Service" or "Searching" in the status bar. If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone, follow these steps, testing after each step:

Contact your carrier:

When you contact your carrier, make sure that:

• Your account is set up to use your iPhone.
  • There aren't any localized service outages.
  • Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
  • Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.

Update your software:

1. Check for a carrier settings update.
  2. Check for an iOS software update. Some updates might require a Wi-Fi connection.

Check your iPhone settings:

1. Turn Airplane Mode on and off. Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn it off.
  2. Check Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings ➢ Focus ➢ Do Not Disturb and make sure it's off.
  3. Check for any blocked phone numbers. Go to Settings ➢ Phone ➢ Blocked Contacts.
  4. See if Call Forwarding is turned on. Go to Settings ➢ Phone ➢ Call Forwarding and make sure it's off.
  5. Check to see if Silence Unknown Callers is turned on. If the setting is on, a caller must be listed in your Contacts or Recents. Or they must have shared their number in Mail or sent you a message using that number in order for their call to go through. Add their number to Contacts to ensure the phone rings. Calls from some third-party apps might not go through.

Check your network settings:

1. Reset your network settings. Go to Settings ➢ General ➢ Transfer or Reset iPhone ➢ Reset ➢ Reset Network Settings. This will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
  2. Try to make or receive calls in another location.

Contact Apple Support:

If you still can't make or receive calls, contact Apple Support, then follow the steps to complete your request. 

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2022 6:13 AM in response to essential32

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone:

You might not be able to make or receive calls on your iPhone if you have certain settings turned on, if your software isn't up to date, or if there's a problem with your network.

Find out what to do if you see "No Service" or "Searching" in the status bar. If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone, follow these steps, testing after each step:

Contact your carrier:

When you contact your carrier, make sure that:

• Your account is set up to use your iPhone.
  • There aren't any localized service outages.
  • Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
  • Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.

Update your software:

1. Check for a carrier settings update.
  2. Check for an iOS software update. Some updates might require a Wi-Fi connection.

Check your iPhone settings:

1. Turn Airplane Mode on and off. Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn it off.
  2. Check Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings ➢ Focus ➢ Do Not Disturb and make sure it's off.
  3. Check for any blocked phone numbers. Go to Settings ➢ Phone ➢ Blocked Contacts.
  4. See if Call Forwarding is turned on. Go to Settings ➢ Phone ➢ Call Forwarding and make sure it's off.
  5. Check to see if Silence Unknown Callers is turned on. If the setting is on, a caller must be listed in your Contacts or Recents. Or they must have shared their number in Mail or sent you a message using that number in order for their call to go through. Add their number to Contacts to ensure the phone rings. Calls from some third-party apps might not go through.

Check your network settings:

1. Reset your network settings. Go to Settings ➢ General ➢ Transfer or Reset iPhone ➢ Reset ➢ Reset Network Settings. This will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
  2. Try to make or receive calls in another location.

Contact Apple Support:

If you still can't make or receive calls, contact Apple Support, then follow the steps to complete your request. 

Aug 4, 2022 11:33 AM in response to Smilin-Brian

does not work. Just keep get sent from pillar to post on this issue. Hours of your life are lost. Keep telling me its the carriers fault , and that might be, but the issue happened and appeared as an error once the 15.6 update finished.

Snap a picture of the error .

I have to go to my local iPhone store which is no longer local!

Aug 4, 2022 12:00 PM in response to essential32

I just updated 2 phones to 15.6 2 different carriers, an iphone 8, and a iphone 12. In both cases the upgrade turned off WiFi calling. Since I had no cell reception, dialing out just inexplicably failed, but messaging worked??? I checked WiFi calling settings, and it was switched to off. Switched it back on and all was normal again. 1 phone is probably operator error, 2 phones -> that's a bug.

Aug 5, 2022 6:00 AM in response to ella273t

List my carrier with 15.6 update, and 6 hours of my life trying to have it fixed. Not saying you should try this as I did ask the techs several times snd they said that that was a bit extreme !

I have an iCloud account, backed up my phone, Restored it to factory settings in iTunes after I made sure my system software was up to date etc. and then down loaded the information from my backup!

i wish I had done this first time around and saved hours and hours talking to t-mobile and Apple help

Can't make calls after iOS 15.6 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.