Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am connected to a wifi network but I still the no network connection when I try to place a call in airplane mode. Wi-Fi calling is on

I have Wi-Fi calling on and am connected to Wifi network. (I can access the internet)

The phone is in airplane mode.

I am trying to place a call.

I get the message No Network Connection. Connect to a Wi-Fi network or disable airplane mode to place a call

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 1:16 AM

Very helpful answer and it helped me uncover parameters that were unknown to me. However, I am trying to experiment with the Airplane mode. I am connected to a Wi-Fi network and I have the Wi-Fi calling feature turned on. In principle, I should be able to call over the Wi-Fi network but I get the following message "No Network Connection. Connect to a Wi-Fi network or disable airplane mode to place a call." So it seems there is another factor that I am not considering

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 1:16 AM in response to ManJor

Very helpful answer and it helped me uncover parameters that were unknown to me. However, I am trying to experiment with the Airplane mode. I am connected to a Wi-Fi network and I have the Wi-Fi calling feature turned on. In principle, I should be able to call over the Wi-Fi network but I get the following message "No Network Connection. Connect to a Wi-Fi network or disable airplane mode to place a call." So it seems there is another factor that I am not considering

Dec 31, 2022 2:23 PM in response to hashem_iMac

Hi hashem_iMac,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! If you're unable to make calls, we would recommend the steps below that may help:

If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone

1. Turn Airplane Mode on and off. Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn it off.
2. Check Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb and make sure it's off.
3. Check for any blocked phone numbers. Go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts.
4. See if Call Forwarding is turned on. Go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding and make sure it's off.
5. Check to see if Silence Unknown Callers is turned on. If the setting is on, a caller must be listed in your Contacts or Recents. Or they must have shared their number in Mail or sent you a message using that number in order for their call to go through. Add their number to Contacts to ensure the phone rings. Calls from some third-party apps might not go through.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Jan 1, 2023 8:02 AM in response to hashem_iMac

hashem_iMac wrote:

I just did some troubleshooting. I have 2 home Wi-Fi networks; it works with one, not with the other. And I have used Wi-Fi calling when traveling internationally using hotel networks, so it is either wideband network dependent (i.e., your ISP is blocking Wi-Fi calling), or there is a router setting that is blocking Wi-Fi calling. Specifically, Wi-Fi Calling uses ports 500 and 4500, so these must be open on your router.

I am connected to a wifi network but I still the no network connection when I try to place a call in airplane mode. Wi-Fi calling is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.