Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set up Yahoo mail on iPad

Suggestion for cannot connect to server error on iPad when trying to log into yahoo mail was to delete and re-add. Went to Settings>add account>Yahoo. Yahoo sign in came up & I signed in. For a split second I could see the next step page, then it disappears and I'm back where I choose which email to add. If I pick yahoo again, the whole process begins again. I've reset modem to no avail. All help I can find tells me to follow the steps I've already done. No problems with my android phone or laptop re modem connection. What next?

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 10:30 AM

From the perspective of Yahoo, who provide your email service, your Apple Mail App is a third-party App. Instead of using the Apple Mail App, you might choose the use the Yahoo App. It’s you choice, however, you may find that the Apple Mail App is the better option when using your iPad.

An “App Password” is a password that is created explicitly for use (in this instance) with a Mail App. The “App Password” will intentionally differ from your Yahoo account-password - the latter being used to sign-in to your Yahoo account on their website.

An App Password is created just for the App that you intend to use with it. It does not impact/change the password(s) that you use elsewhere to access Yahoo services.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2022 10:30 AM in response to Katzenjam

From the perspective of Yahoo, who provide your email service, your Apple Mail App is a third-party App. Instead of using the Apple Mail App, you might choose the use the Yahoo App. It’s you choice, however, you may find that the Apple Mail App is the better option when using your iPad.

An “App Password” is a password that is created explicitly for use (in this instance) with a Mail App. The “App Password” will intentionally differ from your Yahoo account-password - the latter being used to sign-in to your Yahoo account on their website.

An App Password is created just for the App that you intend to use with it. It does not impact/change the password(s) that you use elsewhere to access Yahoo services.

Jul 22, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Katzenjam

In common with many other Mail providers, Yahoo now use App Passwords to secure access IMAP or POP3 mailboxes.

The Mail App on each of your devices, such as your iPad, requires a unique password to be generated from within the Yahoo account. This App password intentionally differs from your Yahoo account password - and can only be used to access your Yahoo mail.

More information can be found here:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN27791.html

Jul 22, 2022 10:22 AM in response to LotusPilot

I read the info on the link you sent, but it talked about accessing yahoo through 3rd-party apps and I don't know what those are. I'm using the mail app on my iPad. Do I need to set up a yahoo app?

What do you mean by app password? Are you talking about my yahoo password? If I change the yahoo password on my iPad won't it also change it on my my phone & laptop?

Can't set up Yahoo mail on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.