Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant on new computer

I just brought up my new iMac24 and trying to use Migration Assistant to get information from my other computer but it cannot find it.

The computer is turned on (late 2015 21.5) and have connection on bluetooth and via wifi (Apple Airport) and have "sleep" on manual ops only.

Do I have to directly connect for some reason?

WGB

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 8:12 PM

I recommend using a cable to connect both computers. Also, you need to run Migration Assistant on both devices.

More details here Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

13 replies

Jul 23, 2022 4:10 AM in response to Sparkgapper

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Jul 23, 2022 6:40 AM in response to PRP_53

That is the very thing I am worried about since there are severe issues on Big Sur that have no resolution. or at least no one has proposed any. The most severe is an issued with BlueTooth File Exchange causing problems that seem to affect how things are loaded LOW RAM (a hard drive) instead of main RAM meaning it is seeing main ram as full and uses the capability of using a hard drive as 'extra' RAM. I can think of no other reason for my 4T Backup drive to be active whenever I am bringing items in to work on them.

About the only thing Is there seems to be no way to PARTIALLY migrate exactly what you want to move but then that has been the problem since migrate was invented. Guess Will have to give some serious thought whether or not I even want to migrate or not or if I just want to take the 'piecemeal' approach using some other way to move them.

I give this 'helpful' because it added other worries into the mix.

Tks

WGB

Jul 23, 2022 6:56 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Sparkgapper wrote:

That is the very thing I am worried about since there are severe issues on Big Sur that have no resolution. or at least no one has proposed any. The most severe is an issued with BlueTooth File Exchange causing problems that seem to affect how things are loaded LOW RAM (a hard drive) instead of main RAM meaning it is seeing main ram as full and uses the capability of using a hard drive as 'extra' RAM. I can think of no other reason for my 4T Backup drive to be active whenever I am bringing items in to work on them.
About the only thing Is there seems to be no way to PARTIALLY migrate exactly what you want to move but then that has been the problem since migrate was invented. Guess Will have to give some serious thought whether or not I even want to migrate or not or if I just want to take the 'piecemeal' approach using some other way to move them.
I give this 'helpful' because it added other worries into the mix.

Tks
WGB

Using Migrating Assistance and User Account Only would eliminate most issues.

One can always use the Time Machine Backup Drive on the New Machine. Setup the drive up In Time Machine Backup and Pick and Choose the Personal Data your want to move to the New Computer

PS : Extra RAM = Swap File when the Real RAM is Totally Full

Jul 23, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Sparkgapper

In order to migrate from one mac to another, you have to start Migration Assistant in the OLD mac and choose "To another mac". Only then it will appear as a choice for migrating in the NEW mac.

I agree that it is better to use a Time Machine backup from the old mac and attaching directly to the new mac, but the previous option also works.

Jul 23, 2022 10:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That would seem to work for DATA files but seems to leave out Apps but more importantly settings, such as Mail, Internet, etc that must either be migrated or manually re-entered which can pose a problem with us 'ancients' who are experiencing some memory loss which includes forgetting to update our password files. It also would not be of use for apps with authorization codes which I have one for my Genealogical work.

That is, UNLESS you can PICK AND CHOOSE apps from whichever Backup, old or new, being used. There would also be the problem of connectivity between Firewire, Big Sur drive, to the new computer that only has miniUSB and Thunderbolt (2 each) and have already used both USB's; one with a 2T for backup and one for mouse/keyboard recharging; do not have a miniUSB charger brick but several USB1-2's.

WGB

Jul 23, 2022 10:43 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Then this is not for this computer use.

Migrating from an Intel computer for Applications that do not meet the requirements of being a 64 Bit will never migrate

Migrating Applications is an ALL or Nothing and there is no options to pick and choose.

As has been mentioned earlier - any already and existing issues on the Older Machine will . . Join the Dots - potentially really muck up the otherwise Pristine Installation of the New computer

Jul 23, 2022 11:01 AM in response to Sparkgapper

No, no, no!

Your user accounts has all your documents, all your mail, pict, mudic, etc.

Applications like Mail, Safari, Preview, etc are part of the OS and newer than what was in the old mac; the old versions in many cases would not even work.

All that is left are third party applications. These you would reinstall from the App Store or from their developers’ sites, as the case may be.

Jul 23, 2022 3:26 PM in response to PRP_53

That is the MAJOR problem in that I do understand the overall process involved. It is just that somethings change, usually slightly, over time and that is what this is all about. I only want to MIGRATE PART of my User account as there are quite a bit of ANCIENT documents in that account that will probably not open up on a 64 bit machine, some of them go all the way back to the old iMac Dome and under AppleWorks. AND, there are an extreme amount of them. This is what I am trying to clarify, whether or not I can migrate SELECTIONS or if I have to migrate everything then delete it from the new computer.

However, the other important aspect is Apps that have been loaded under my User account whether it includes the activation code because the last time I did this it was like pulling teeth to get that code so all my machines would access that app. I do know several years ago, when I upgraded to this iMac 21.5 that the activation code was not included when I brought in the app.

Tks everybody - it has been an octogenerian's education which I hope to remember later;

WGB

Jul 24, 2022 1:19 AM in response to Sparkgapper

IMHO, there has been sufficient advise offered, from more than one Contributor, for the User ( you ) to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

That said, perhaps the user requires to focus more on the needs that the wants aspect of this process.

The below may or may no work and does increase the risk of Pollution of the New Computer.

The User will Need to spend some Time to perform these actions in a Detailed / Tedious manner plus the knowledge / skill-sets to execute this suggestion.

Evaluate the Older Computer and determine exactly would Third Party Software, Extension, Drivers and Personal Data the user Does Not what Migrated to the New M1 Computer.

Remove the above outline above item making certain all elements of the above are not longer on the Older Computer.

This should, in theory, mean what is Now on the Older Computer is what you want Migrated to the New M1 Computer - right ?

Get a new or re-purposed External Drive and create a New Time Machine Backup one the above has been accomplished.

This New Time Machine Back Drive can be used to migrate to the New Computer and fulfill the " PICK AND CHOOSE " requirements the user has outline in earlier posting.

Jul 24, 2022 7:21 AM in response to PRP_53

So, basically, I have to CLEAN my this computer of EVERYTHING that MAY cause problems on transference which you are right in that it will take DAYS of time.

Since I already have a 2T backup drive installed AND Time Machine running would I still have to use a different another drive? How about some way to connect my present 4T Time Machine HD backup, using Firewire, to the new computer? while I am somewhat conversant in electronics for some reason, probably memory problems, I am having problems understanding the elements of the new, NON USB, connectivities but especially the use of PURPOSE BUILT cables to cross connect old hardware to the new setups.

It seems Apple, somewhere in the past, has made considerable changes to THROUGHPUT that in some ways seems incongruent to this octogenarian. i.e. preconceived knowledge from many years as an electronics operator which includes everything for distant communications both air and LL. Along with an AAS in SCIENTIFIC COMPUTER PROGRAMMING on the OLD purposed languages from Basic to RPG along with an introduction to Machine Language.

Guess i need to figure out if I need a new drive, then how to connect it to a limited USB unless it is Thunderbolt then the basic of how to garner the items I want from that drive without 'infecting' the new machine with whatever problems the old one has.

WGB

Jul 24, 2022 7:44 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Sparkgapper wrote:

So, basically, I have to CLEAN my this computer of EVERYTHING that MAY cause problems on transference which you are right in that it will take DAYS of time.
Q 1 - Since I already have a 2T backup drive installed AND Time Machine running would I still have to use a different another drive? How about some way to connect my present 4T Time Machine HD backup, using Firewire, to the new computer? while I am somewhat conversant in electronics for some reason, probably memory problems, I am having problems understanding the elements of the new, Q 2 NON USB, connectivities but especially the use of PURPOSE BUILT cables to cross connect old hardware to the new setups.
It seems Apple, somewhere in the past, has made considerable changes to THROUGHPUT that in some ways seems incongruent to this octogenarian. i.e. preconceived knowledge from many years as an electronics operator which includes everything for distant communications both air and LL. Along with an AAS in SCIENTIFIC COMPUTER PROGRAMMING on the OLD purposed languages from Basic to RPG along with an introduction to Machine Language.
Guess i need to figure out if I need a new drive, then how to connect it to a limited USB unless it is Thunderbolt then the basic of how to garner the items I want from that drive without 'infecting' the new machine with whatever problems the old one has.

WGB

A 1 - I would.

Reason, the moment to Old Stuff is removed and the existing TM Backup is run - it will capture the deletions. Then, if you decide later to Keep the Old Computer and need the Old Stuff back on the Old Computer - it makes things more tenuously to find the Exact Date to restore from.

A 2 - Using such old connector like Firewire adds another element of possible Issues where the New Apple Silicon Computer using a very different type of connectors like Thunderbolt and USB-C.

If it were I, keep the Older TM Back excessively for the Old Computer and Get a Newer External Drive for the new machine

migration assistant on new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.