Can I use USB A to USB C for Migration Assistant?

I've macbook pro 2015 which is about to die and I've already purchase Macbook Air which will arrived on next week. I would like to transfer the data with Migration Assistant. Could I used USB A to USB C to connect both Mac or Migration Assistant? Or do I need specific cable to do so?

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 7:59 PM

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

For Target Disk Mode: "If either of the computers has macOS 11 or later installed [which the new MacBook Air will], you must connect the two computers using a Thunderbolt cable." Here we'd be talking about a TB 3-to-2 adapter plus a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable. So migrating from an up-to-date external backup drive might be the best thing to do.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 7:59 PM in response to thanunthorn

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

For Target Disk Mode: "If either of the computers has macOS 11 or later installed [which the new MacBook Air will], you must connect the two computers using a Thunderbolt cable." Here we'd be talking about a TB 3-to-2 adapter plus a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable. So migrating from an up-to-date external backup drive might be the best thing to do.

Can I use USB A to USB C for Migration Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.